New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Dr.Psycho Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:50 pm
Hello guys! So I have a mpc 2500 and my questions are:

1-To connect the mpc to studio monitors i need to use TRS cables(with 2 rings on it) One cable with 2 rings to the left and one cable with 2 rings to right... Am i right? because the rings are for right and left connection although each monitor uses a TRS cable.Image

2-To use the (Record in) inputs i need the TS cables( 1 ring only) Am i right?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the question but i think im a bit confuse... :worthy:
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:17 am
Cables with 2 rings are stereo cables. 1 ring are mono cables.

Best to use the mono cables for both for in and outputs of the MPC. R output into your right monitor and L output into your left monitor. You will hear the stereo dynamics much clearer this way for the L and R channels are seperate in a stereo recording. Then the recording inputs, its the same but using the inputs.

The cable with the double rings are for stereo inputs/outputs. The MPC's channels are in mono so that plug would be useless.
By Dr.Psycho Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 am
Thank you for the fast reply, i thought in that way too but then i saw the TRS (2 rings) on the monitor and i was confused.
Well thank you one more time.
Have a good day!
By selecta jo Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm
TRS cables are not just used for stereo connections - they also get used for balanced connections between devices.
See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

The MPC 2500 has balanced inputs and balanced outputs, so even if all inputs and outputs only carry a mono signal it would be better to connect other devices via balanced connections to prevent hum and noise, especially if you use longer cable runs.

You can use TR cables for all of the MPC inputs and outputs, but if you hear any noise then try TRS cables and see if sounds better.

peace, jo
By saltmcgault Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:02 pm
selecta jo wrote:TRS cables are not just used for stereo connections - they also get used for balanced connections between devices.
See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

The MPC 2500 has balanced inputs and balanced outputs, so even if all inputs and outputs only carry a mono signal it would be better to connect other devices via balanced connections to prevent hum and noise, especially if you use longer cable runs.

You can use TR cables for all of the MPC inputs and outputs, but if you hear any noise then try TRS cables and see if sounds better.

peace, jo

i hope this is where the minimal hissing noises are coming from i have my mpc connected to my eie pro insterface as well with my dbx dual band equalizer and sound compressor. Im not sure if they are all balanced 1/4" jacks cant wait to be off work and home to check now. :popcorn:
By tapedeck Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 pm
yea green you are almost right but two-ring / TRS cables can indeed be mono, they are just balanced. they will work in either a balanced or an unbalanced jack, but problems come when you start mixing balanced to unbalanced sources - you might start losing signal that and it happens to lots of people who dont fully understand it.

one common assumption to is that balanced is just BETTER. balanced really makes a bigger difference when you are running 100 feet of cable or more. for just connecting stuff in a home studio, like a source to a sampler, or a sampler to the monitors, it probably doesn't matter as much.

so any minimal hissing is not necessarily related to that. honestly, unless your compressor etc is extremely high end, the hissing is likely inherent in the boxes or the interface.

point being - you can use either ts or trs cables.
By Lampdog Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 am
EIE is known to have humming/hissing problems.
By saltmcgault Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 am
Lampdog wrote:EIE is known to have humming/hissing problems.

i read that after i bought the thing. i always thought it was my mpc now i’m thinking otherwise. i feel kinda cheated on that whole ordeal.
By tapedeck Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
Lampdog wrote:EIE is known to have humming/hissing problems.

i read that after i bought the thing. i always thought it was my mpc now i’m thinking otherwise. i feel kinda cheated on that whole ordeal.

i wouldn't say cheated - im assuming you didn't pay a lot of money. you do get what you pay for usually.

remember when they released that thing it was called the 'eieio' - hilarious :mrgreen:
By saltmcgault Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:32 pm
wouldn't say cheated - im assuming you didn't pay a lot of money. you do get what you pay for usually.

remember when they released that thing it was called the 'eieio' - hilarious :mrgreen:

HA. Yeah i thought it would be a quality audio interface $250 isnt cheap by any means.. i'd expect it not to make popping noises. i have noticed last night when i shut it off and turn it back on it sometimes stops acting up and it doesnt do it for about 60% of the time i use it. What do you guys use for an audio interace?
By tapedeck Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
wouldn't say cheated - im assuming you didn't pay a lot of money. you do get what you pay for usually.

HA. Yeah i thought it would be a quality audio interface $250 isnt cheap by any means.. i'd expect it not to make popping noises. i have noticed last night when i shut it off and turn it back on it sometimes stops acting up and it doesnt do it for about 60% of the time i use it. What do you guys use for an audio interace?

yea i wouldn't call that 'cheap', i would have thought that was a $100 interface. still $250 is definitely low-end territory, when nicer interfaces usually start at about 500 or so.

i used a edirol for a while that was OK but nothing special - the preamps were lousy...not noisy, but just not a lot of character.
i then had a focusrite which is a good low-price interface (in the same range as the eie but much better quality) - the preamps were a lot nicer on that, but the usb jack gave out on me and i destroyed it trying to repair it.
apogee stuff is incredible, but you do pay for it.
the universal audio stuff is excellent but again, you will pay for it.
people have told me the rme stuff is great but i dont have a lot of experience with it.

i would have thought the eie was fine at that price, but not with popping and hiss.
By Dr.Psycho Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 pm
Thank you all for the answers, so my conclusion (i checked the manual 1/4-inch phone x 2 balanced ) i can use both although if i have hum noise its better to switch to TRS wich are balanced. TRS, can be mono because of the outputs of the mpc, although its used mainly for stereo in my opinion. Always learning!

:worthy:
By pk1 Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 am
most of us have dirty electricity. If the place you live was not made in last 20 years you def have dirty electricity. most of you know this but don't realize it.. The electricity is constantly flowing threw your house and your neighbors. specially apartments or duplex that share circuits/breakers. Our lines in our house are grounded with steal bars pounded next to your foundation. steal rusts and deteriorates so there connection to the ground become week. the grounds are safety measures for overloads and lightning. When you don't have good ground or GOOD quality copper wiring you get dirt. turn on your system. have your girl turn on the microwave. (if you unfortunately still use this shit, nutrient depriving device) you will hear it in your monitors. if you do.. nothing you do with cables or the most expensive gear you can buy will take that hiss. Rifrigerators are not made without auto defrost anymore. when that thing does its thing you get crazy noise.
Salt, i believe you said you live above a bar or restaurant. your fuk'd. they have multiple refrigeration compressors. they run 24/7.
what you can do is make sure you plugin your devices into a quality surge protector. so at least your grounding your gear. turn on all your gear. turn up your audio interface a bit so you can hear the hiss. then start turning off stuff. not the audio interface... you may hear that the noice significantly drops when you turn off...say your compressor. lets say that this is indeed what happens. try to change your power cable. or do it in reverse, where you have the audio interface on then turn gear on one at a time. one piece might be giving the big sound. i have a Focusrite Saffire 40 20/20 sounds great. RME stuff is bomb just over priced, and like Tapedeck is saying Apogee and UI stuff is also great. In reality though. unless your recording vocals or need high quality recording. the cheaper interfaces are fine. no reason to spend ass amounts of cash to record from a record player. or youtube vids... oh.. and unless its usb3 usb interface=shit most of the time. I only run firewire interfaces. Id dump that EIE shit while you may still get a cpl bucks for it and grab a focusrite, MOTU, or a Presonus. those are my go to medium budget heroes
By saltmcgault Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 am
@pk1 if that’s the case the electric current running through my apt is one giant **** dirt ball! :lol: the eie pro snap crackles and pops more than a bowl of rice crispies lately. Thanks for the info bro! :nod: out of the 3 interfaces you mentioned which one would you lean towards the most?
By pk1 Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Brand new. One of the presonus. Used focusrite.
You can get a real nice daw with presonus