New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Hamsta Gangsta Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:42 pm
Wassup fam?

Just wanted to ask you is it normal at mpcstuff.com that they ask for an ID and credit card photos from customers?

I ordered from them today for the first time ($400 order to EU) and just got an email that they need to protect themselves against fraudulent orders so they need photos of my ID and credit card (I am allowed to cover sensitive data).
I found it strange because it's the first time I have to provide such information as a buyer. I only ever had to do that when I was withdrawing money from bookmakers, but never as a buyer. I mean - I am the one who's paying and I already gave them my sensitive data (billing address and CC info), so how can I fraud them?

Any of you guys had to provide them with such data?
By Hamsta Gangsta Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 pm
distortedtekno wrote:That sounds sketchy. Don’t provide any of that info.

Yeah, I don't like it either... I provided them with the info they requested, but I blurred everything on ID but my name and photo and it's only my name nad last 4 digits visible on the CC.

I don't suspect any wrong doing on their part, these guys are established and are in the MPC business since forever, but I don't like giving out my personal data if it's not really needed and I don't feel like it was in this situation. But yeah, I have $0 balance on this card just in case...

And I was just reading about Vailixi and Rohan yesterday :wink:
By saltmcgault Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 pm
seems legit. make sure to give them your SS# too. :lol: jk why not call them and ask about it? Thats what i would do.Always go through Paypal.. don’t learn the hard way like me.
By Hamsta Gangsta Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 am
distortedtekno wrote:Sounds like mpc-stuff got hacked. I would’nt have given any info at all. Better off using PayPal for a payment method.

Not sure about that coz email came from [email protected] and their main email [email protected] was added in carbon copy field. I mean it would be a stupid thing to do for a hacker to add victim's email to a carbon copy. But I am not an expert in IT security, maybe the whole message is false.

I did a little google research and it's seems that sometimes sellers ask for such information, but it's generally frowned upon. But yeah, I'll go with PayPal next time.

I'll post an update when I have some more info - worse case scenario it will be a $400 life lesson :WTF:
By Hamsta Gangsta Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 am
distortedtekno wrote:Email could’ve got hacked too. But hopefully none of that happened. Let me know what’s up when you find out.

Sure, I'll post na update in this thread.

MPC-Tutor wrote:MPCStuff are legit, perhaps there was something up with the returned credit card info, such as incorrect billing address or similar. If in doubt, give them a ring.

Yep, I know - I've never read a bad review of them here or anywhere else on the Internet and as I wrote earlier I don't suspect them of anything wrong, 3rd party actions (hackers/phishing) was my main concern.

But so far everything looks fine, the order should be shipped today.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:MPCStuff are legit, perhaps there was something up with the returned credit card info, such as incorrect billing address or similar. If in doubt, give them a ring.

I second this. MPCStuff is legit.

It would be good if you could actually speak to him. He's also a member on the forums here.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm
Link your credit card and address with Paypal. Make sure you're a verified user and pay using that method. I would never provide that information, if they are concerned about fraud, your ID won't stop that. All they have to do is call the bank that issued the credit card and verify that your credit card, address, they can have the bank call you.

Never provide a photo copy of your credit card. Legit or not, you don't know who is on the other side of that email. You don't know if their email server is compromised. Personally, I never pay using my credit-card, get a pre-paid card, gift card, or paypal.
By Hamsta Gangsta Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:29 pm
Thanks for all the great advice guys, I'll be smarter next time.

Quick update: the order has been shipped like 9 days ago (September 26th) but USPS is a fu*kin joke - the package hasn't left the US yet :Sigh:
First it arrived at Geensboro North Carolina, then it was going back and forth between OAK CREEK and OSHKOSH, Wisconsin for like 3 times (I just realized that now looking at the tracking history), then CHICAGO, then PHILADELPHIA and it departed from WINDSOR LOCKS, Connecticut today... WTF USPS?!

And I paid like $65 for express shipping :WTF:

What's even more funny (not really) is that I ordered some tact switches from Mouser 3 days ago for like $54, got free shipping via FedEx from Texas and I received them like an hour ago :shock:
By JUKE 179r Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:22 pm
I noticed the crazy USPS shipping when I ordered parts from them. I think it took 6 days to get from North Carolina to my house on the outskirts of Atlanta. WTF?!
I could have drove 6 hours to their Greensboro main office and picked up the parts. lol
By Hamsta Gangsta Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I noticed the crazy USPS shipping when I ordered parts from them. I think it took 6 days to get from North Carolina to my house on the outskirts of Atlanta. WTF?!
I could have drove 6 hours to their Greensboro main office and picked up the parts. lol

LOL :? So maybe 9 days is not THAT bad for international shipping... But *%$! USPS anyways :fku:
I'll post an update when I finally got my parts.

Have a nice weekend fam!