New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
Byterracide Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:06 am
Well i think this question is asked about a zillion times so i post it here. But i am searching for something really specific so i post it anyways.
We make music under the name Wavebasix, and last month we released our new record on Streamable Records (our own label). We are invited for a live act in Italy in the Kinki Club. Now this is really cool, but we want to do it right. We do not wanna bring our complete studio but use something like an MPC. Just render our songs to audio, and play them with an MPC.
Now here is the tricky part. We want it to be seamingless. So all songs need to be loaded at once in the MPC. I was thinking about swithcing patterns on of, so that we cab play patterns of our second song in our first song so we get a good mix. I need some advice on this. Maybe a synced setup of 2 mpc's are better?
What kind of MPC do we need for this? Do we need one with a harddrive?
Are there people that also do live gigs here with MPC's that can give me some advice? Also what do you use together with the MPC to make it more fun, like midicontrollers or whatever. Does anyone have a liveact on video that they want to share with me? Any answers on any of these questions will be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
By deaf-mute Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:12 pm
terracide wrote: I was thinking about swithcing patterns on of, so that we cab play patterns of our second song in our first song so we get a good mix. I need some advice on this. Maybe a synced setup of 2 mpc's are better?

Thanks!

The 4000 has a function where you can play another sequence at the same time as the first for example... it's called simultanious play....

By JStruMENTAL Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:41 pm
GET A SP606

By AliasXS Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:09 am
sounds like you should probably be using ableton live with a laptop if you're looking to just mix in and out of your tracks. If you want something a bit more creative, go for an MPC and export loops and parts of loops. The MPC thing is going to take a lot longer for you to learn, but in the long run it will be a whole lot more satisfying.

By binger0 Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:32 am
dont get an mpc get this.
http://www.360systems.com/docs/prod_ir_main.html
this is what alot of groups use cause its real handy for what u just said. mpc is good to play 1 song live, but u will have to load up new songs or what not. i would roll with this

By nanoloop Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:22 am
that thing looks fresh.. i bet they use em on game shows and shiz. i always pictured some fat dude in a booth with an mpc triggering all the cheesy game show sound fx. its a bit isolated, only 2 outputs and no midi.

By binger0 Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:15 am
but u hold tons of audio nad songs or seqs. dave chapple had dmx on and dave kept switchin the beats on the 360 while dmx rhymed. it isnt a beat machine so it dont need more then stereo outs or it doesnt need midi. its just used for playin audio clips. it can hold 24 hours of audio too.
http://www.donlinte.com/level2/instant_replay.htm
this place rents em.

Product Description:
Versatile and rugged, Instant Replay 2.0 allows you to record audio from both analog and digital sources to its internal hard disk, assign recordings to 10 banks of programmable Hot Keys, and play them back instantly -- in any order desired, as many times as desired.
Sound effects, music, announcements -- up to 24 hours of your greatest material.
Pack it up for the road, or install it in the studio or control room and you'll understand why this completely self-contained professional digital audio recorder is a hit worldwide.

By fire Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:32 pm
This thing is used everywhere by everyone. If you watch rap city you will see this thing alot in the corner. Almost every club I've been to uses on as well.
By beyondhope1 Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:42 am
terracide wrote:Well i think this question is asked about a zillion times so i post it here. But i am searching for something really specific so i post it anyways.
We make music under the name Wavebasix, and last month we released our new record on Streamable Records (our own label). We are invited for a live act in Italy in the Kinki Club. Now this is really cool, but we want to do it right. We do not wanna bring our complete studio but use something like an MPC. Just render our songs to audio, and play them with an MPC.
Now here is the tricky part. We want it to be seamingless. So all songs need to be loaded at once in the MPC. I was thinking about swithcing patterns on of, so that we cab play patterns of our second song in our first song so we get a good mix. I need some advice on this. Maybe a synced setup of 2 mpc's are better?

Thanks!

I full around with a band a lot, half the time i play with them live. I dont know if this helps you but i use one mpc1000. I use the 1k alot live when ever i play with them. but they play rock and i just hit samples from pads and a sequence here and there. For your style i would have to say get the instant replay if your a hiphop gig or anything that uses alot of sequences.

Ive seen live gigs use 2 mpc alot (switching up like 2 turntables. pretty sick )

By beyondhope1 Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:50 am
nanoloop wrote:that thing looks fresh.. i bet they use em on game shows and shiz. i always pictured some fat dude in a booth with an mpc triggering all the cheesy game show sound fx. its a bit isolated, only 2 outputs and no midi.

Yea i hear you .. Like howard stern show.. I wonder how they drop the sounds on the fly and what the sound guy is using... I Wanna job like that.