New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Danny333 Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:56 pm
[b]hello everyone. So I just bought a 2000XL. I also am buying a AT-LP120-USB + Orbitron 2m Red Head. My question is what else do I need to start making some beats. As you may be able to tell I’m trying to keep the cost down and I’m under the impression the turntable has a built in pre amp. Whatever the case may be I’m trying to keep cost down and beat make on a budget. I also have monitors and a MacBook Pro. Any advice would Be GREATLY APPRECIATED
By selecta jo Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:16 pm
welcome to the forums!

the turntable you mentioned has actually three different output options:
- you can connect the usb directly to a computer (mostly used to digitze records from the main target customers).
- you can flip the little switch on the back to "phono" and connect the attaced rca cable to a dj-mixer or home stereo phono inputs.
- or you can flip that switch to "line" and now connect the rca cable directly to equipment with line inputs with no need for a phono preamp

your mpc 2000 xl has line inputs, so you can connect the turntable directly to that inputs.
to make the rca from the turntable fit the mpc inputs you will need some adapters from rca to 1/4 inch plugs.
the stereo outputs of the mpc connect directly to your monitor speakers and you can start sampling and making beats right away!

further down the line you have to think about how to get your music off the mpc and out into the world, if you like to do that, so you might need an audio interface of some sort to record the mpc output to the computer and maybe mix and process it further to make the final file.
any interface with two or four channels is enough for that task and there are plenty on the market in the low 3 figure price range (but still try to buy a better one, maybe used, than a real cheap one for more fun in the long run).

peace, jo
By Danny333 Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:06 pm
Nice thank you. I’m deciding between the LP120 and the LP60. One is 99 and one is 250. As long as the turntable has a pre amp I have no need For anything but the Turntable and MPC correct ?
By NearTao Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 am
You need line in to your MPC. While the direct line out on the turntable might sound cheap now, at some point you might want a mixer to eq or add fox on the way in. Do not get too wrapped into the most efficient audio path, but I totally understand the interest in keeping it cheap for now.

A few random thoughts...
Get an account on reverb.com to flip gear, save bucks on the used market
Consider starting with sampling from what you have, phone, YouTube, radio, tapes, etc... while vinyl is classic, it does not have to be where you start
By Danny333 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 pm
Ok so I got the At lp60 for 99 bucks. I hear you with using whatever I have thing is I don’t have anything but Viynl and I also can get it really cheap plus I I love the whole process of putting on a obscure record and ripping right off the Viynl. Plus using youtube is something that would be totally foreign as because I wouldn’t know how to go from YouTube to my mpc. I also bought 10 floppy discs from eBay with 9th wonder rza kayne samples. Will c how it goes. Overall I spent 290 for a XL AND turntable not bad.