New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By jamesgreen101 Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:09 am
Hallo everyone.
I've been looking into buying an mpc for a while now but am stuck between buying either the mpc 2000 or the much cheaper option in the mpc 1000. I have used ableton and fruit loops in the past but i couldnt seem to wrap my head around the basics at all and. I feel that i would benefit from a more hands on approach to producing tracks, computers are just not really my thing. From what i can see the mpc 1000 would look a lot easier to use especially having absolutely no experience in using them but the 2000 looks like it could be very accessible also. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one i should buy first?
Thanks
By JUKE 179r Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:17 pm
MPC1000 with pad sheet. Splurge and install the big screen with JJOS2XL operating system.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:59 pm
1k > 2k/2kxl
By Scrawny Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 pm
jamesgreen101 wrote:Hallo everyone.
I've been looking into buying an mpc for a while now but am stuck between buying either the mpc 2000 or the much cheaper option in the mpc 1000. I have used ableton and fruit loops in the past but i couldnt seem to wrap my head around the basics at all and. I feel that i would benefit from a more hands on approach to producing tracks, computers are just not really my thing. From what i can see the mpc 1000 would look a lot easier to use especially having absolutely no experience in using them but the 2000 looks like it could be very accessible also. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one i should buy first?
Thanks

If you get an MPC1000 you'll have to get the JJOS as well. And at that point, if the MPC doesn't come with it, you're looking at around 80 euro more. You will also pretty much NEED the upgraded pads which should come out at around 150 euro too, so unless the 1000 comes with the good pads, you'll have to factor that in as well.

The 2000/XL and 1000 are very similar as far as I know. I use a 2000 though so keep that in mind. I don't think the 1000 has an 8 outs option. With the JJOS, it's much more user friendly than the 2000/XL. The 1000 is also quicker and you won't have to use the standard floppy drive most 2000s come with. I don't really find myself limited because of that though so maybe it won't be that important to you either.

In my opinion, even though the 1000 might have some other more convenient features, and might be more modern (in a good way), it's incomplete, so you'll either have to find one with the right pads and JJOS, or have to upgrade it yourself. Maybe not right as you get it, but surely at some point.

Oh and the only real reason to go with the XL over the 2000 classic is the tilt screen (don't underestimate the importance of the tilt screen), timestretching and auto 16 pads chopping (this is what I find myself longing for the most). Is that worth the 200 euro price gap to you?

I think even without the upgrades, a 1000 goes for more than a 2000 classic, so if you have the patience to learn how to use it, I'd say just get yourself a 2000.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm
Scrawny wrote:Oh and the only real reason to go with the XL over the 2000 classic is the tilt screen (don't underestimate the importance of the tilt screen), timestretching and auto 16 pads chopping......

Real reason is 4 active simultaneous PGM's (programs) freely assignable to 4 DRUM slots in memory with 24 inactive. 2k classic has only 1 active program.
By saltmcgault Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:17 pm
If you're going to go the MPC1000 direction. I would suggest investing just a wee bit more coin and get the MPC 2500. :smoker: You won't regret it.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 am
saltmcgault wrote:I would suggest investing just a wee bit more coin and get the MPC 2500. :smoker: You won't regret it.

This + JJOS!!!!
By Menco Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Co-sign. Then you have what maybe can make the 2XL a better pick over the 1000 and what the 1000 makes the better pick over the 2KXL. 8 assignable outs, tilt screen, full sized pads, numeric pad, better transport button layout. And some more up to date technology like CF card reader, USB port, more basic feautures by default, and the most important one: possibilyt to run JJOS.

Most second hand MPC’s already come with some upgrades (USB slot on the 2K/ XL, JJOS or padupgrade for the 1000). So don’t need to worry you’ll have to look for and buy those upgrades yourself most of the times.
By NearTao Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 am
A lot of it comes down to preference... hard to build until you've actually played with either :)

Might be worth seeing if there are any members local to you that you could catch up with and check out the gear. This older stuff is usually harder to find in shops these days.