New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By brightnight Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am
I’m interested in picking up an MPC to make beats but I'm confused because when I look up the equipment of people who make the music I like, it appears they are mostly using the MPC 3000 and MPC 2000 which was released in the 1990’s. The videos I saw of Kanye were in the mid 2000’s using an MPC 2000 and even Mark Ronson’s TED talk in 2014 about sampling he’s using an MPC3000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3TF-hI7zKc&list=PLvyw7H_eqmG-qPl0ID6qsUoFXh3aqNaQj&index=7&t=908s

My two main questions are:

1) The MPC3000 goes for $2k on Ebay while something like the MPC 5000 goes for less then $800. What am I missing about the MPC3000 that makes people still use it and value it over something like the MPC 5000? Are some people just stuck in their old ways and therefore old equipment or is there something else I’m missing about these older machines that make them better in some ways then the newer equipment?

2) Some of the videos I watched suggested I could do all of my sampling in software and basically do all of my music creation on a computer. I like the idea of drum pads but what are other good reasons why I shouldn't just use a computer for everything? (starting out and honestly just curious).
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:33 am
The 3000 is considered to have a warmer sound, and many believe the timing on the classic MPCs is better. Plus many people like working to the limitations on these machines (less memory, more basic operating system etc). And of course some people will buy an MPC3000 because they think it will make them a better producer, or because it is cool, or they just like buying old gear.

If you're starting out and want to go for the MPC style of beat making, I would definitely suggest you don't start out with a 3000, in fact I would say just go straight for the latest generation of standalone MPCs such as an MPC Live or MPC One. You can always look at vintage samplers later, basically once you have a good reason to justify using them.

But maybe even just try using computer software or ipad apps first, see how it goes. You can also consider using a 'pad controller' hooked up to your preferred software.
By Scrawny Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 pm
I agree with everything Tutor said, except the suggestion to go for one of the newer MPCs. You probably shouldn't go with a 3000 or 60 but I don't think you were looking at investing into one of those in the first place. Anything after the MPC2000XL or maybe the classic (if you don't mind the completely manual chopping) should do you good.

Timeline goes:

60, 3000, 2000, 2000xl, 4000, 1000, 500, etc...

I have a 2000 classic. It was my first drum machine/sampler ever. I do find myself fiending for the tilt screen and the auto 16 pad chopping but apart from that, I'm completely satisfied.

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't write off any of the older MPCs, apart from the 60 and 3000, because those are stupid expensive and also harder to get started with, compared to any of the other ones.

Other than that, do some research on them. Look up videos of people making beats with each one and try to figure out which workflow would best suit you.
By Menco Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm
When those guys in the 90’s started using the 3000 and the 2000 it was up to date and well advanced technology back then.

Using hardware over software is mostly because of the ‘feel’ and it’s more hands on workflow and aproach. A groovebox like a MPC usually has more dedicated buttons and controls and a more integrated GUI than most daw/ controller combo’s. I would suggest anybody who is new to beatmaking or the MPC to start out with the latest models, just like a J Dilla and a Kanye West did around 94-97. Maybe if you want to go a little oldschool and know you can get around on a machine with a small screen then the 1000/2500 with JJOS might also interest you.
By brightnight Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:24 am
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll do some more research online and reading through this site and then and make another post asking about which MPC might be best for me. Absolutely love Kanye beats, daft punk, J Dilla, Passion Pit, and beats from spoon, ookay. Not sure if I can do it all with one MPC, a keyboard, and turn table or if I need to get a synth and other equipment. Thanks again for the help.
By 40Beatz Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm
Dont forget about the 2500 with JJOS. I agree...i think he should start with the Newest Technology. He can always go back in time once he learns the Fundamentals.
You can definitely recreate those guys styles with the MPC One or Live.