New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By colemansgroove Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm
Hey this is my first post and I’m brand new to the 1K which came pre installed with JJOS2XL ver: 3.59
Firstly, on the Load screen, ‘memory card’ on the left is the only option available, when I try to scroll to find internal memory a “wait.....” message jumps up and then disappears leaving me at the memory card.
On the right hand side of the load screen is
osmpc1000_xl359.os2
Is this normal and just a case of being factory reset and having no pre loaded samples ? The Akai 128mb memory card has 121mb free space so is this where the 2xl OS is installed? I’m confused :( obviously I need start loading in some samples so would you recommend cf card reader or usb cable? Finallly do I need to worry about file format?
Hope someone finds the time for us noobs just starting out!
Thanks
By NearTao Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 pm
Some memory is reserved for FX and midi notes, program data, track data, sequence data, etc... which is also why the 128mb is a necessary upgrade over the 16mb by default. Otherwise with 16mb you have about 9mb free for samples if I recall.

If you're trying to scroll at that section and getting a wait... you might be trying to change to the internal drive... but if you don't have an internal drive may be why it is going back to the CF card.
By colemansgroove Sun May 10, 2020 10:37 am
Brilliant thanks for the help. Do MPC 1ks not have any internal storage as standard then? Also, does this mean that the JJOS is saved on the CF card and so I would only be able to use this card to operate it?
Thanks
By NearTao Sun May 10, 2020 6:50 pm
JJOS is saved in the reserved firmware storage that is on the internal MPC board. You cannot write to this memory location... and no it is not internal HDD or CF storage.
By Menco Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 am
There should be an internal drive, but it’s only 5mb. Maybe yours doesn’t work anymore. If you want an internal drive I can recommend you to install a HD inside the MPC. Check the MPC 1000 forums on what HD to get.

The JJOS file on the memory card is probably still on the card, since it has to be installed from the memory card. But like NearTao said, once installed the MPC boots up the JJOS from the firmwire storage.

It doesn’t matter whether you import your samples through memory card or USB. If you go the USB route your computer will write your files on the memory card, which your pc or mac will see and can be treated like any external disk that’s being hooked up to the computer.
By Jukai Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:07 pm
Just got a 2500 in the mail preloaded with jjosxl 3.59, pre installed 60 gig HD, fully expanded memory. Plugged it in took a minute to boot up but everything was working. After shutting down the next time it’s booted up it won’t read the internal HD. Shut it down again, it starts up lightning fast and everything loads like a brand new machine. I can’t tell if this is internal or just a HD issue, I know the process isn’t pulling teeth to get a new one in there. Anyone have similar experiences? Is this possibly a jjosxl 3.59 bug that needs to be updated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated MPC fam.
By Jukai Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:50 am
Strange enough I haven’t had that error since I booted it up today. But still, gonna get the converter and replace the HD.