New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Cole0720 Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm
I just bought my first MPC (the MPC One). I've been recording electronic music for about 13 years now, so I'm not a stranger to installing midi controllers, but I've already sunk five hours into this and can't seem to get this device to pair. Hoping somebody can help.

I successfully updated my MPC One's firmware to 2.8.1. I followed the installation steps (correctly selected MPC One) and am able to run the latest version of the software on my laptop just fine. The MPC is connected to my laptop via USB, and it is in controller mode. However, once I run the software, the MPC just sits at the "looking for computer" screen. I can even play the pads and clearly see the software pads light up - so it is receiving the signal fine. Has anyone encountered this? I've seen some other threads that just trail off with the issue never being fixed. I am running Windows 10.

This seems like a bug and I'm not sure how to get around it. I've uninstalled everything and reinstalled three times. I tried to call Akai, and I waited on hold for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes before eventually conceding there is likely no one even at their office right now due to Covid. Not the best opening experience with this product tbh :/
By Cole0720 Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:04 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes this comes up a lot, a search should yield many possible solutions, such as 'try a different USB cable', 'try a USB 2.0 port or hub', 'uninstall and re-install the drivers'.

Missing info: What computer OS are you running.

Right - as of now I have just been using the USB cable that came new out of the box with it, but I tried the cable I use on my presonous Audiobox just to be sure and no change. My laptop has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 so I tried both and no dice. I am running Windows 10 currently on a 64bit Acer Aspire.
By Cole0720 Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:31 pm
So I’ve spent 8 hours straight today attempting to fix thIs issue. One hour on hold with Akai customer support. One hour of then talking to a kid who had no idea how to solve the issue. Another hour talking to another guy who also had no idea how to fix the issue. 5 hours of uninstalling and reinstalling my entire computer in an attempt to fix it myself. Still no solution.

$700 for an unusable piece of junk. What a joke. After today I can safely say I will never buy another piece of Akai equipment again, and frankly hope this company goes under. :popcorn:
By The Ken Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:58 am
Cole0720 wrote:I just bought my first MPC (the MPC One). Hoping somebody can help.

I've seen some other threads that just trail off with the issue never being fixed.

There are indeed a lot of threads with different people experiencing the same issue. However, I'd say many of these issues resulted in the user being able to fix the problem. Here is a list of some of similar threads. There are a couple of common pieces of advice, but there isn't a definitive solution because there are several variables that could be causing the problem.

Additionally, when the problem is solved, many of the users do not report back as the issue being resolved. This might give the appearance of the issue going unresolved when in fact it has been.

So I’ve spent 8 hours straight today attempting to fix thIs issue. One hour on hold with Akai customer support. One hour of then talking to a kid who had no idea how to solve the issue. Another hour talking to another guy who also had no idea how to fix the issue. 5 hours of uninstalling and reinstalling my entire computer in an attempt to fix it myself. Still no solution.

That's got to be frustrating. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I've found a lot of Youtube video comment sections have users who report the problem and their subsequent solutions. I'm sure you've seen many of those, but perhaps a second glance might grant you some new insight.

Other than controller mode, is your MPC having any other problems?
By Juson3 Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm
Solution - Download MPC 2 free 7 day trial, installer has MPC One driver packaged in it, install driver, no need to install software. Then download and install free MPC Beats software, open software and launch MPC in controller mode. Voila, enjoy!
By Jakiub Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm
Juson3 wrote:Solution - Download MPC 2 free 7 day trial, installer has MPC One driver packaged in it, install driver, no need to install software. Then download and install free MPC Beats software, open software and launch MPC in controller mode. Voila, enjoy!

I did everything you said, and my computer see Mpc One with no problem when I switch it to control mode, but on a display I still see "Looking for computer".
By DukaMolly Fri May 14, 2021 7:27 am
I was having the same problem and I fix it after 5 hrs.
I hope it helps.

Search on google for: mpc 2 free 7 day trial
Choose first option: MPC2 Desktop Recording Software DAW | Akai Pro
Down in web page on 'take a trial', Download mpc2 trial for pc or mac or whatever you are using.

unzip the file and inside there is one instaler and one folder call: installer_assets. open this folder...
Inside this folder there is other folder call Drivers, open this one...
And then install the right one for you... in my case was: install akai profesional MPC one 1.0.5
then tourn on your mpc one hardware, put in on controller mode - is gonna be looking for a pc.
open MPC Beat software... the software is gonna ask to complete audio settings, there you have to choose
Audio Device Type: windows Audio
output: Speakers (MPC one audio)
Input (Line 1/2 (MPC One Audio)

Click on OK and that's it, your mpc one hardware is gonna open as normal but in controller mode..

Hope its a big help for someone else.
Cheers. :nod:
By MP Clive the 2nd :) Mon May 31, 2021 1:13 am
DukaMolly wrote:I was having the same problem and I fix it after 5 hrs.
I hope it helps.

Down in web page on 'take a trial', Download mpc2 trial for pc or mac or whatever you are using.

unzip the file and inside there is one instaler and one folder call: installer_assets. open this folder...
And then install the right one for you... in my case was: install akai profesional MPC one 1.0.5
then tourn on your mpc one hardware, put in on controller mode - is gonna be looking for a pc.
open MPC Beat software... the software is gonna ask to complete audio settings, there you have to choose

Click on OK and that's it, your mpc one hardware is gonna open as normal but in controller mode..

Im currently trying this so shall let you know how i go with a MPC LIVE 2

I'm a FRESH AZ newbie (2 weeks in:) to the MPC world having spent a decade or two on DAW's so quite the learing curve but so far so good. This forum has been a godsend so thanks to all the helpful contributors :worthy:

Had no luck with a macbook pro running BIGSur (which i now know AKAI is working on the compatability).

And now im trying to resolve on the boss ladies imac which is running Sierra 10.12.6. On a side note, ive managed to get MPC Beats up ans running on this computer but seems a little clunky regarding midi connectiviety which i also hope to resolve by trying the methid in the above QUOTED post.

To be honest, i do love the computer-less 100% standalone method of creating music. ive started creating music that i never thought i would have and this is due completely to the different method of MPC workflow. Its quite productive to be away from a computer with all the other worldy distractions a few clicks away, notifications social media etc etc

...shall let you now the outcome.

Cheers

Clive
By MJ76 Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:22 pm
If it helps, I had this issue and have just resolved it (as well as another issue which may have been directly related). I have owned an MPC X for around 18 months, and recently purchased an MPC One. The X has always worked fine (standalone, and controller mode) however the MPC One was permanently stuck in 'Looking for computer' state when i selected controller mode. Weirdly this didn't stop me from installing new expansions on the MPC One via the MPC 2.10 software and the software even recognised the pad hits on the hardware - however some of the pads were incorrectly mapped.

After looking at windows services, I noticed that there was only a service running for the MPC X, nothing on the MPC One (which I guess makes sense - I forgot that when you first install the MPC software - it asks which controller you intend on using and installs the relevant drivers). The fix for both issues for me, was to run the MPC 2.10 installer however when it launches, I didnt reinstall the software - I just picked the option which installs the device driver and then I picked MPC One. The result is now I can use both the MPC X and the MPC One (separately) with the software and more importantly the MPC One now properly connects and is not stuck in 'Looking for computer', it also fixed the pad mapping.
By djst Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:39 am
I thought I'd contribute to anyone else looking for the solution. Unfortunately this forum kind of sucks because I can't find a way to upload images, so I'll have to describe it in text.

Basically the culprit for me (MacOS Big Sur, MPC One) was that the MPC software installer that you install on your Mac has two separate steps to install the MPC Mac software (the DAW on your computer) and installing the MPC One device driver for Mac. What you need to do, after installing the MPC software itself, is to re-run the installer (in my case as of writing this, double-click on "Install MPC 2.10.1.85.app" again) and this time after selecting MPC One again as your controller, you select the second option in the "funnel" selection screen that says "Install MPC Driver". I really wish I could upload a screenshot to show what I mean, but hopefully this makes sense.

To summarize, you need to run the installer "Installer MPC 2.xx.x.xx.app" TWICE - first, to install "MPC Software", and second, to install "MPC [One/Live/Live II/etc] Driver".

Hope this helps anyone out there!
By themixtape Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 am
DukaMolly wrote:I was having the same problem and I fix it after 5 hrs.
I hope it helps.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

Why the **** is that MPC One driver (1.0.5) only available in this goddamned download, but NOT available from the Akai site? It makes no sense. The zip also includes the DisplayLink driver which I can almost guarantee will not work with Windows 7. I need to reboot to find out.

But THANK YOU for this trial thing. ****. WHY, AKAI, WHY?!?!?! Why the hell is that MPC One driver NOT AVAILABLE SEPARATELY? What is wrong with them? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
By jhobson Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:29 pm
Thanks to all those who came before - I only wasted an hour before I was successful. I got some screenshots of installing the Live II Driver for Windows 11 and stuck them on Google Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6x8HiNbfKh5ZhtP79
Download the full MPC software trial version and start the installer. You should see a screen where you can pick your MPC device, LiveII in my case:

Then on next screen you just select the 'Install Live Mk II' to just install the driver and not the main software (my image shows reinstall because I only went back and got screenshots _after_ I checked the process)

Then I think you click it again and maybe confirm and then it comes up with an older style Windows installer