New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Qwerty Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:28 am
I've tried a quick search on ths bord but I can't find anything related. I know how to filter out the highs on a sample to just leave its bass but is there some kind of trick I can do on the MPC to filter out the lows on a sample or do I have to buy an EQ?

I have a Boss SP505 which i used before the MPC and it comes with FX including an EQ and "Isolater" but I don't know if running my MPC through the SP and back into my MPC would dumb down the quality of the samples? Should I do that or just invest a good EQ?

By D-Block Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:26 am
Low End Theory. This is how you filter in PROG mode in Params the high frequencys out of a sample. The sample has to have a low end though. That means you can make bass lines out of anything. Just filter out the mids and highs. Also gets rid off hats and the mid range signals.
this was discoverd by Pete Rock and was a staple in the 90's hip hop scene. This is used by Primo, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and mad others. Sound dope on horns.

By Qwerty Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:08 am
^Yeah I know, i'm familiar with all them folks and i've used the technique before. I'm asking about filtering out the bass so you're left with the highs and mids.

By binger0 Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:08 am
he said he know how to low end. to high end filter u need a high pass filter. ur best bet is to get a little filter module. I have the alesis philtre and its real cool. u can do hi pass, low pass, band pass, and band stop. do a search on thouse kinds of filters and u will know the deal.

By Qwerty Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:25 pm
aight thanks. peace.