New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Ceaa Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 pm
Hello team,

First of all I'm glad to be part of this community, I've been following for a while a decided to joined a couple of days ago.

I'm a new at producing, I have a midi keyboard with ableton lite buts thats it, I know how to make a beat I feel like a total newbie at this.

I decided to get some new gear that will last me for a long time while maintain its monetary value, thiking about this as an invesment as well :) . Been researching between maschine and mpc and well here I am. :lol:

I ve been looking at the Mpc 2500 and the Mpc X, which one do you recommend? I've read the 2500 with that new japanese software its a beast, and that the "X" is a standalone station with all the features included. I have fallen for the 2500 tbh, you can connect that large screen and upgrade it to have a top notch equipment. I am new with mpc dont know to much about it, I've read a lot and watch several videos, so I have a general idea of how both software works

I am planning to use any of those two as my main production station also planning to connect an electric piano (roland gokeys) and a conderser mic with it. My budget it around $2500, worth to mention that I live in Caracas Venezuela and that importing any kind of fancy equipment into the country is a **** long process when it comes to shipping, custom and all that shit, corruption..anyways I want to purchase something that will last me at least 6-8 years without thinking to buy anything else from the U.S, its a pain in the ass to get it in the country.

The 2500 its built to last to my understanding, it looks solid, dont know to much about the X since its a new equipment and you know how they build electronics nowadays. I dont want to spend 2k on it and having to replace it in 2 or 3 years.

Any advise is welcome, keep it up. Peace!! :worthy:
By 40Beatz Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:20 pm
Get The X
By Menco Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:07 am
40Beatz wrote:Get The X

Even though the X hasn’t had the time yet to proof it’s durability, I can assure you it’s also a machine that’s build to last. The 2500’s were built properly too, but changes are that you have to do some repairs with any 2500 you buy since it’s quite old. Tact switches, outputs, screen, datawheel are common things to go after 10+ years of heavy usage.
Unless you buy a full refurbished one, which isn’t that much cheaper than a decent second hands X. Plus if you’re coming from software it’s less hard to adjust than with the 2500. JJOS is mighty powerful indeed, but if you’re just starting out with trying to learn the basics there’s nothing you will miss on the X.
By 64hz Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 am
I would go for an X as well. Sorry to say but the 1k 2.5k never had any real appeal to me.
By NearTao Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am
As somebody who loved my 1k with JJOS, I'd still say get the X as well (or consider the Live)... it isn't a maintenance nightmare, but if you're already having a hard time importing a system you're likely to need to source parts to fix knob/switch/screen/pad issues at some point... and it's no fun to have to do that on used gear out of the gate.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Ceaa wrote:I ve been looking at the Mpc 2500 and the Mpc X...

X
By 83dude Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:19 am
NearTao wrote:it isn't a maintenance nightmare, but if you're already having a hard time importing a system you're likely to need to source parts to fix knob/switch/screen/pad issues at some point...

Imagine getting someone to repair that for you or ordering spare parts in the first place, if customs are so restrictive. I didn‘t use older models, but the X seems solid. It might not be perfect, but you‘ll have less hustle with the X (release 2017) in the next 5-10 years than you would with a 2500 (release 2005). Also you‘d completely miss out on modern features like VST integration in controller mode etc.

At the end of the day you should know what you need before you buy. Without having used a 2500 I‘d suggest the X anyways; if you enjoy limiting yourself extra (which sparks other ways of creativity), get the 2500.