New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By CDiddy Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:26 pm
i saved about 6 .wav sounds onto my mpc 2000xl but I don't know how to assign them to pads... help please.

By Smoove03 Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:35 pm
assuming its the same process as the 2000...

- if you have the sounds on a disk, when you load the sound up (from the load screen) a window pops up letting you play the sample or "do it" which will load the sound...

before you press do it push the pad you want the sample to be on. it'll switch to that pad (you'll see the pad note # you selected) then press do it. that will load the sample onto that pad you selected.

- if its already in memory, goto PROGRAM mode. when on the program screen press the pad you want. then cursor down to the pad # and use the jog wheel to select which sound you want to be on that pad.

am I making any sense at all??

this is how I do it on my 2000.

hope this helps :?

By CDiddy Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:59 pm
made sense, didn't work, thanks though, anyone else with suggestions?

By Lampdog Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:33 pm
Do you know how to read? I know it sounds sarcastic, (not trying to be, but..) but, do you? Download the xl manual and find page 117.

You should have went through the manual and TRIED stuff, many of your future questions would have been addressed BEFORE any problem(s) occur.

PLEASE do this and hopefully it helps..

By CDiddy Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:00 pm
I have read the manual, however I'm confused about how to get sounds onto my mpc 2000 xl. I have loaded a few .wav files, once I saved them I saw nothing else of them, I did this through a floppy. I then tried to load a .pgm file through the floppy as well, these appear to have loaded succesfully but son't assign to a pad, I have not got any .snd files on the Akai CD-ROM sound library MPC2000XL Vol. 1... In the manual it says I shouldload a .pgm but also in the maual the floppy disc they use has a huge number of files, including .wav files.
I don't even know how to delete the files that I have saved onto the MPC and I havn't bought any additional memory so, how do I delete that stuff, and what am I supposed to do? I have no sounds, I have to listen through headphones with a headphone jack. I have no means of connecting the MPC to the comp except through floppy discs....
Im getting really mad at my MPC now and ive only had it for a few days!!! lol HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!! ive read the basics btw, no need to download naything or pay for that tips book yet.

By Smoove03 Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:24 pm
yo check this out.....the mpc dosnt come with sounds or speakers. give it some time bro. you gotta learn what you doin man. dont get frustrated. you got a powerhorse on your hands.

so your saying you loaded the sounds from the floppy?? when you select which sound you wanna load and the window pops up hit the pad you want the sound to go on THEN press "DO IT" and it should load that sound onto the pad you pressed. you have to assign them to the pads you want them on. where are you getting these files from? are they on your disk?? when you select the file you wanna load and the window pops up are you able to press the PLAY button and can you hear the sound??

im sure the problems your having are user errors. if you have loaded a bunch of sounds up they're probably in the mpc memory now. you can also go into the PROGRAM mode and assign the sounds you already loaded to the pads. like i told you at first....what you mean it didnt work?

and to delete the sounds in your memory i go into TRIM mode, highlight the sound name, press open window button, delete, then delete all sounds. then that deletes the sounds from my mpc memory.

to listen to what your doing you need some monitors/speakers. you will be using the stereo outputs on the back on your mpc. look into purchasing some monitors.

i've jumped around a lot but im not sure how else to help you. not sure why this stuff is not working. your not doing something right.

By cooocooo1 Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:29 pm
Take that, take that, take that!!! Bad Boy baby!!!

Press shift +3> find the sound you want to load> (take that)> hit DO IT> (bad boy)> hit the pad you want to assign the sound to> hit KEEP> (get money) > read the manual again> (bad boy baby!!)

By CDiddy Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:36 pm
ok, ive done it. Thanks a lot you guys, been a real help. One last quick question, how do I make sure the sound stays loaded to that pad after ive turned off the mpc?and where do I find all the sounds loaded onto the mpc after i take the floppy out?

By cooocooo1 Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:42 pm
I'll give you a quick answer to your quick question.

The MPC don't work that way.

By cooocooo1 Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:44 pm
Okay, okay, I just realized that this is the Newbie forum so I'll help a bit more, read page 156 in the manual.

Take that, take that!!! Bad boy!!!

By Smoove03 Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:03 pm
aight.....you gotta SAVE the program your working on to be able to load up how you have them assigned.

to name the program, go into PROGRAM mode and highlight the program name. Press open window button and that will let you rename the program. Then go into the Save screen, and "SAVE A PROGRAM"

select the program you want to save and there you go. make sure you save all sounds with that. i believe it will ask you if you want to save sounds with the program.

now when you come back to work with that program again you'll have to load it up.

i think you'll need to know this also.......when your working on a track and you want to save make sure you save ALL SEQUENCES AND SONGS. that will save your sequences and songs (duhh :) ) and if you change any sound settings on any of your pads you'll want to save the program again so everything is saved!

good luck man :wink:

By CDiddy Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:28 pm
thanks a lot guys. ur advice has helped alot
peace

By Lampdog Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:43 pm
Glad to hear it.