New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By mallenium Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Hi guys & girls,

I received my MPC X yesterday and I'm currently struggling how to set it up the right way, for my existing equipment.

My current setup:
- an old pioneer DJM 500 - which is a 4 Channel Mixer, with 3 audio outputs and a booth monitor output
- a turntable
- a Motif midi keyboard
- active monitor speakers

My goal:
I want to be able to separately use
- turntable only
- keyboard only
without turning on the MPC.

On the other hand, when using the MPC - I want to be able to record the audio of the turntable & keyboard.

Can this be achieved?

My thoughts so far
I connect all my gear (turntable / keyboard / mpc) to the mixer inputs.
1 mixer audio output to the active monitors.
1 mixer audio output to the MPC!?...but this cannot be right :?

Please let me if you need further details.
I want to avoid damaging the outputs/inputs of my gear, therefore I've decided to ask before doing anything stupid :)
By Ill-Green Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:58 pm
I had something similar back in the day. But instead of a mixer, it was a line selector with 3 inputs (2 line and 1 phono) and 2 outputs. Same rules applied, only difference I couldn't mix, just select my source. So yes, you are on the right track.

I had a CDJ input 1, sampler input 2 and turntable in phono. Output 1, I connected to my monitors, which are active btw. And Output 2 I connected into the sampler. I could sample the cdj, keyboard and turntable all on that selector alone.

However, there is a fierce looping clip that will get ya if unaware. It happens if sampling is activated and the sampler is selected on your mixer.

Other than that, experiment until comfortable.
By mallenium Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:30 pm
Hi Ill-Green,

thanks for the quick reply.
Your help is very much appreciated.
It works!

I'm just curios, why did you change your connection setup?
Did you change gear or did you find a better workflow for recording audio?
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:20 pm
Is there a technical reason you don't want to have the MPC X on? What are the pro and cons?

mallenium wrote:Hi guys & girls,

I received my MPC X yesterday and I'm currently struggling how to set it up the right way, for my existing equipment.

My current setup:
- an old pioneer DJM 500 - which is a 4 Channel Mixer, with 3 audio outputs and a booth monitor output
- a turntable
- a Motif midi keyboard
- active monitor speakers

My goal:
I want to be able to separately use
- turntable only
- keyboard only
without turning on the MPC.

On the other hand, when using the MPC - I want to be able to record the audio of the turntable & keyboard.

Can this be achieved?

My thoughts so far
I connect all my gear (turntable / keyboard / mpc) to the mixer inputs.
1 mixer audio output to the active monitors.
1 mixer audio output to the MPC!?...but this cannot be right :?

Please let me if you need further details.
I want to avoid damaging the outputs/inputs of my gear, therefore I've decided to ask before doing anything stupid :)
By Ill-Green Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:09 am
mallenium wrote:Hi Ill-Green,

thanks for the quick reply.
Your help is very much appreciated.
It works!

I'm just curios, why did you change your connection setup?
Did you change gear or did you find a better workflow for recording audio?

You're welcome!

Actually, it took some years to figure that setup :-D Went through the trials and errors. Like you, I just want to listen to some records without turning on my MPC or practice my chops on keyboard or guitar.

I still have that same setup but now my only sampler in my setup are (2) Volca Samples 1st gen. Since the Volca does not sample, its just not connected to the line selector. Thats the only reason, plus I play 60's psych guitar, so I been sampling myself instead of records and CDs.

The line selector I use has an SD reader/writer, so if I hear a dope sample, I immediately record onto an SD card, flip it into my android, then upload the file to the Caustic app to be nestled snugged within the Volca Sample. A bit of a lap, but I'm fast doing it and I love the VS, so underrated...even without the Pajen hack. :smoker:
By mallenium Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 am
Thanks for all your feedback so far.
I'm really looking forward diving in to the MPC - It's been a while....

@CharlesRandolph:
TBH, there is no technical reason, since the MPC requires way less time to boot up then my old MV8000.
However, I still wan't to be able to just listen to some old vinyls or learning some new piano keys without turning on the MPC.
Furthermore my Keyboard is used by my wife as well and she is not interested in music production, therefore turning on the MPC would be a waste & an "unnecessary" thing to deal with :)

@Ill-Green:
Cool! Keep it up!
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with similar thoughts :)
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:11 pm
GuruVirus wrote:@mallenium: each instrument on a different mixer channel like normal, and then run the phones output to your MPC input. Am I missing something? I have a DJM-500, too (Ebay ftw)!

Do not connect the RCA out of the mixer to the phono input of the MPC X. That input is only for the phono level input, not line level. Send your 1/4 out of the mixer into the 1/4 inputs of the mpc x. Then on the rear of the MPC X, make sure switch is set to LINE.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:58 pm
mallenium wrote:Thanks for all your feedback so far.
I'm really looking forward diving in to the MPC - It's been a while....

@CharlesRandolph:
TBH, there is no technical reason, since the MPC requires way less time to boot up then my old MV8000.
However, I still wan't to be able to just listen to some old vinyls or learning some new piano keys without turning on the MPC.
Furthermore my Keyboard is used by my wife as well and she is not interested in music production, therefore turning on the MPC would be a waste & an "unnecessary" thing to deal with :)

Turntable to mixer into Channel 1
Keyboard to mixer into Channel 2

Mixer out to MPC X 1/2 input.
Mixer out to Audio Monitor

Same as ILL Green said above. To add: To avoid a loop back when sampling, keep the MPC X monitor off on the sampler menu. You don't need it on to see the meters.