New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By eltb99 Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:59 am
[img]Hi,

I'm back on the mpc wagon after selling my mpc500 over ten years ago in favour of using logic pro to produce my own stuff. I got that mpc itch back so bought an mpc one. Absolutely loving getting lost in learning all the things this little beast can do but I'm well and truly stuck on this...

Everything is working on my macbook with the mpc 2 software. The pads are hitting all the right notes but.... When I use the mpc as a controller to trigger sounds in logic the midi mapping is all over the place. I've attached a screenshot with all the midi mapping and I've nooooooo clue how to change it so the pads play the right notes. I've followed a guide on youtube and this problem wasn't mentioned, he was up and running with a simple plug and play.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rDCYSbN6VmSP7MVB9

What glaringly obvious thing am i missing? How do I map the midi so the pads trigger the notes instead of all the buttons and q-link knobs?...

PS. On a side note I've decided to ditch logic for now and focus on using the mpc as it should be used. Standalone... But I'd still like to resolve this little problem for future use.

Anyway! I'm glad I joined! After seeing such a massive community I'm looking forward to having a proper look around (and maybe finding a solution)

Thanks in advance

eltb99
By GuruVirus Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:28 am
I have a lot of trouble mapping my MPK mini MK3 because for some reason it gets unmapped? I'm not clear on what triggers that.

Anyways, in MPC2, press Ctrl + Shift + L (Windows) to open the Midi Learn panel on the right (or click the icon at the bottom right of the screen, 2nd from left).

Click Learn, then click on the pad icon you want to map. Then tap the controller's pad until a number appears on top of the pad icon, indicating which pad index number it is now assigned to. On my MPK Mini MK3, sometimes I have to tap for a long time because one pad will be recognized incorrectly as a different pad (e.g. bottom left pad should be, say #38 but sometimes #39 appears). Once the correct index number is on all of your pad icons, click Learn again to turn off the mode. Should be good to go then.
By eltb99 Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 am
Awesome! Thanks. I'll give this a go. I chatted to Akai support and he was pretty clueless and said he'd forwarded my problem to Akai in the USA :popcorn:

Ps. Can you see the pic I uploaded? I think that's the midi learn section?...
By GuruVirus Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:50 am
Yes I was able to see the image.

Let me know how the response goes. So far I have been unimpressed with MPC Software and how Akai sells and supports their software (poor website management) and latest controller (MPK Mini MK3 is a poor rebranding of the MK2 with no default mapping in MPC Software).
By eltb99 Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Hi, I'm completely lost! I gave up trying to midi map logic instruments and am just trying to use the mpc one with the software and record in logic. I've got no idea what's going on. It's an absolute disaster. And for some reason pressing one pad triggers two separate sounds at once. I give up
By eltb99 Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 pm
eltb99 wrote:Hi, I'm completely lost! I gave up trying to midi map logic instruments and am just trying to use the mpc one with the software and record in logic. I've got no idea what's going on. It's an absolute disaster. And for some reason pressing one pad triggers two separate sounds at once. I give up

EDIT: Reverted back to Mojave and the problem with the crazy midi is goneeeeeeeee! Catalina still isn't supported it would seem.