New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By feistj Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:49 am
Hi guys,

i'm new in MPC Beats using the MPK mini 3. I made a sample and program and put it on my pads. The pads are on Polyphony "Mono", so this is exactly what I want so far (there is no overlapping, perfect and helpful for me).
Now I want to use one single pad from the program with a vocal sound playing in the back of the sequence. The upcoming problem is (of course), during the pad with vocals is playing, the pad with the music sample is not, because of the mode "Mono".
So my question is: What do I have to do, that a chosen single sample is playing in the back, in sync with the music sample (same program and same sequence)? I tried a lot with the programm editor and watched a lot of tutorials, didn't find the answer so far...

Thanks in advance!
By NearTao Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:01 pm
in a program you have different settings

master/program mono means only one sound in the program at a time can play... solution here could be to make a new program

or... at a pad level you can ser each pad to be mono as needed/desired so that it only is mono for that particular sound... I think it is in the lfo section of the program... then you would set the master/program to be poly and each note to mono as necessary
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm
The easiest solution is to put your vocal sample on a different program on a different track.

Setting just the pads to 'mono' in a 'poly' program only creates monophonic playback within each individual pad (so hit A01 twice and it will mute itself, but hit A01 then A02 and A01 will continue playing)

So if you want to work within the same program, you could set the whole program to poly, and then set all the sounds to the same mute group (e.g. 1). Then set the vocal to mute group 'off'. All pads will mute each other, other than the vocal.

IMO, better to work with multiple programs.
By GuruVirus Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:10 pm
I had trouble figuring out how to implement MPC-Tutor's fix, so here's what I did to get it to work:

Load up a kit so I had some samples on my pads.
Penciled in the smallest note quantization on the grid of each sample, one after another (looks like a staircase).
Hit play to hear samples overlapping.
Go to Program Edit (Ctrl + 3 on PC).
At the bottom, 4th section over "Edit Zones" click ALL
Scroll to the right 3 more sections to "Pad Play Modes" and change Mute Group to 1.
Now the pads mute each other.