New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By SVBJECT Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm
Hi!

So I bought the MPC ONE for the sole purpose of running my Yamaha DTX500 electronic drumkit through - might seem a bit extreme but I can't stand the latency I always had running pads - brain - sound card - computer, but running just pad - brain - mpc works with no latency that I've detected, so fantastic!

The issue, and I'm looking into it from the DTX side too, is once connected via MIDI, the sensitivity zones, and ratios between them feels off.

Like, the cymbals are really hard to play, and when they do it is almost always the bell being played, or occasionally just the edge but theres blank areas that play nothing between the rim and the bell, and the hihats totally unresponsive anywhere except the bell or playing pedal. I can no longer find the rim of the snare at all, the rim just triggers the snare head.

To be clear - playing the DTX kit standalone, it works and feels fine. MPC brand new from reputable seller presumably working fine, just the combo seems to have removed a lot of real-feel sensation from the kit.

Not sure what other tech spec details I can provide on this, but looking forward to any help or request for more info from my side.

Thanks in advance
By DokBrown Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:33 pm
I was running my MPC1K with a yamahaDTX & old roland SPD a decade ago. Those units have very sensitive MIDI that works best with the oem pads/triggers. You can spend all day fine tuning your MPC & you will never get the original response/layering. I sold my DTX but I keep the roland around. I plan to get back into that when I get my next studio.

I can dig it,
LBjr
By SVBJECT Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:50 am
Hey, thanks so much for the reply LBjr. Although that does not sound like the response I was hoping for as it sounds like I've got spent £600 on a road doomed to fail!!

I don't quite understand the issue though - so the drums are more accurate/sensitive operating as an original stand alone unit. So what comes out the MIDI output? Surely its identical in content to the brains internal messages - ie, if it says 127 velocity of sample x and 5 velocity of sample y internally...why isn't that exactly what comes out the MIDI cable, and therefore why can't the MPC follow it's lead?

When you get back into it, what are your plans to get around this?
Anyone else had a different experience or know work arounds?

Thanks