New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By lazerdriver Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm
When using this with the standalone version of Steinberg's Groove Agent 5, I cannot get the pads to produce any drum sounds. I can get drum sounds from the keyboard, but not the pads. In the Groove Agent instrument there are 16 main drum kit sounds which are mapped from C1 through D2#. I tried creating a custom map in the Akai editor using the same notes and loaded it, but it didn't help

Oddly, when I use Groove Agent as a plug-in in Cubase 9.5, the pads work perfectly and play as expected.

Can anyone advise on what I need to do to make this work correctly?
By lazerdriver Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm
I have more information on this. It turns out I can trigger GA5 in standalone mode. It just doesn't work the way it should. So not sure if it is a GA problem or Akai problem...

I created a custom MIDI map in the Akai editor and did some testing. Here are the results:

MPK Bank A setup Pads 1 through 8 as G#0 through D#1 (MIDI notes 20 through 27)
The result is this triggers GA notes G#-1 through D#0 (which are patterns in GA)

MPK Bank B setup Pads 1 through 8 as E1 through B1 (MIDI notes 28 through 35)
The result is this triggers GA notes E0 through B0 (which are also patterns in GA)

So the first problem is the MPK is mapping notes to one octave lower on GA.

Going on that result, I tried to setup MPK to produce individual drum hits (which are assigned to C1 through D#2 in GA):

MPK Bank A setup Pads 1 through 8 as C2 through G2 (MIDI notes 36 through 43)
The result is no triggering in GA at all. I can see that GA is getting MIDI activity, but it produces no sound.

Like I said previously, when I use Groove Agent as a plug-in in Cubase 9.5, the pads trigger all the correct notes (individual drum hits) as well as patterns as expected.