New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Cockdiesel Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:27 pm
I see where you’re coming from Charles but as society becomes even more anti-social and narcissistic. People are left to online communities of random internet dues and not much direction in real life. It’s what happened to me and I can’t imagine what it will do for future generations. He’ll before I joined this forum, I literally had one friend I could get feedback from for music and absolutely no direction as I wasn’t online like I am today. Still pretty much an amateur but wonder if I would have had some guidance when I was teenager saving up for a Roland sp where I would be.

How is one suppose to grow when the old heads tell him everyone sounds corny in the beginning and you need to practice? Sorry but YouTube tutorials and even reading about this stuff can only go far, just as much as vague criticism.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:05 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I see where you’re coming from Charles but as society becomes even more anti-social and narcissistic. People are left to online communities of random internet dues and not much direction in real life. It’s what happened to me and I can’t imagine what it will do for future generations. He’ll before I joined this forum, I literally had one friend I could get feedback from for music and absolutely no direction as I wasn’t online like I am today. Still pretty much an amateur but wonder if I would have had some guidance when I was teenager saving up for a Roland sp where I would be.

How is one suppose to grow when the old heads tell him everyone sounds corny in the beginning and you need to practice? Sorry but YouTube tutorials and even reading about this stuff can only go far, just as much as vague criticism.

For this music man, you must have a :fku: type of attitude. Online there are lots of haters: new head, old heads, dead heads, and no heads. But online there's so much information now. Everything is right there. Free software, free sounds, free templates, free teachers. Everything is one click away.

People ask me what they need, I tell them a Laptop and controller or use just their smartphones and headphones. Truth: Many of the old heads are making Trap and Drill under a different name and they're the same one's hating talking about keep it 100. :lol:

You want to get better: Practice and take it serious there are no short cuts. If you need help, seek it out. If they say no, keep asking people until someone says, yes. If someone hates, use their energy and make some banging @$$ music. Make it hard and keep hit'em with it.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:19 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Damn Charles. Here I thought your resume was limited to ghost writing for Nelly.

Ghost writing and Ghost producing can get you paid without all the stress, if that's your thing and you don't mind NDA's. :nod: But if you want it, put your middle finger up and step out with best music you can produce.

1,825 beats a year minimum. That's 5 beats a day. :smoker:
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 pm
NearTao wrote:6 beats a day? dang... doing 1 a day for two months I can see how it'd be possible if you did it full time... but I feel like I'd be drained doing that after a few months...

Trial by fire though... I dig it.

That's what it takes, 5 beats a day is minimum and that's part time work. That's what the OP should do.

5 beats a day = 1825 a year.
If you place 182 beats (10%) at $300 each (Low Ball).
That's $54,600 a year.
By Cockdiesel Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm
Some good numbers and insight Charles. 300 seems real low ball. Not sure if it was true but I met this real old head like in 2003 who said he ghost wrote a beat for the hot boyz and they paid him 50k cash. Was strange that some old white dude from Wisconsin with a studio in his suburban basement even knew who the hot boyz were much less that one of their beats came from him.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Some good numbers and insight Charles. 300 seems real low ball. Not sure if it was true but I met this real old head like in 2003 who said he ghost wrote a beat for the hot boyz and they paid him 50k cash. Was strange that some old white dude from Wisconsin with a studio in his suburban basement even knew who the hot boyz were much less that one of their beats came from him.

Hard to say, but I don't doubt it. People used to get paid but those numbers aren't like that anymore. Ask some of the heads who drop by here and they'll tell you the same. Streaming and Online downloads killed that part of the business. That's why so many are selling McDonald, Alcohol, and Sneakers. They can't make a living off of music because they don't own it and those streaming numbers don't make enough.

But it all comes down to consistently putting the time in. Not buying gear all the damn time. But making music and making moves all the damn time. COLD HARD FACTS! :lol:
By cleansocks Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:48 am
NearTao wrote:This is just my random thoughts... take them or leave them... some of this may not lead you to the type(s) of tracks you're trying to make...

I listened to the track a couple of times... here's my thoughts
* Regardless of how you put this together... it sounds a lot like you just used some loops and samples and dropped them in.
* The chorus and bass feel like the only two parts that could lead me through the track, but they are quite repetitive.
* A lot of the random samples you added don't hook into the rhythm, and don't really sound like they fit into the rest of the track.
* You haven't provided a rhythmic dialogue to drop in your different samples... I don't anticipate them... and as they stand they confuse me
* I know you're going for a loose rhythm here... but you need *something* to lead the listener by the nose... it's too sporadic
* Everything feels like it is in a different space...

Good news... I seriously think you've got something to work with here.
* Take some ownership of the samples you've used... add FX, chop them, stutter them... pitch them... an eagle sample... yawn... a robotic eagle scream... wtf is that?!
* I'd chop up, automate some filters... or something to your chorus and bass... it needs some surprise and movement... stutters... filter gates... anything
* Yeah you've got drills... but they seem to hit at random... and then nothing happens... drill -> change up... change up in consistent measures... will get your head nodding
* Carve out a rhythm... you don't need boots n cats... but drop a snare or clap in to hold it together... make a pocket to drop in your misc/random samples
* Again... you don't need a kick hat snare hat... but you could go kick rest rest rest rest snare rest drill or something... then you've got space on rests for your other sounds
* Adding some light reverb to the samples sound help add them into an environment and settle them in the mix more.

I think my overall advice is to focus on mastery of something in the track. You don't need to do everything... and in fact... when I do these types of things I like to just focus on one thing. If it were me... things I would consider:
* Take the track and chop the heck out of it to make a new track... use pitch shifting and chops to build up energy and tension.
* Lean into the random noises you've got for samples and just go sound design crazy... effects chains, EQ, compression, resample them to madness
* Think A/B... You've got a reasonable A track... take the same components and play them differently to make a B track
* Just cut it down to a 30-60 second track. Optimize what you're doing and get to the core/critical components... drop intro/outro... just drop right into the core of the track.

Good luck man, and keep at it!

Hey I really appreciate you writing this all out for me man. I knew this shit sounded whack but you summarizing it so precisely for me really helped me understand , I still have so many questions but I'll just touch on a couple points you made:

- " I'd chop up, automate some filters... or something to your chorus and bass... it needs some surprise and movement... stutters... filter gates... anything"

when you say automate filters, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I know the effects screen records your movements into the sequence during record dub which is cool, but If I use two stereolinked effects i can't really do that, and at least for my 808s I need to route it to the -- Effects Screen --> STEREO LINK ON: and then that just bumps the sound up to listenable volume, no matter what effect I put on it. I'm not sure why my 808s so quiet but anyway, besides that Idk how to make effects kick in at certain times within the sequence other than the Effects page which at least for drill is all occupied to STEREO LINK so my 808s are hearable. I'd like to know if I can automate effects with Q - Link... I know I can do some sequence stuff but Idk how to save it. Last I checked it doesn't save with ALSETTINGS which really bugs me .. but if Q-link can be used to automate effects and stuff that'd be awesome. Theres many times I want to filter out and filter in again with a different pitch (see "Dreaming Remix - 808 Melo" on the intro he does this). Then again, there's always adding this stuff later in FL but Its not nearly as fun doing it when you're in the flow of things on the MPC.

- " * You haven't provided a rhythmic dialogue to drop in your different samples... I don't anticipate them... and as they stand they confuse me
* I know you're going for a loose rhythm here... but you need *something* to lead the listener by the nose... it's too sporadic "

This is one of the biggest problems I sensed when Making this and I tried loading so many different sounds and mixing them together and I Felt the others were too sporadic so I settled on this.. its funny cause I listen to a LOT of Dilla and he has great rhythm but I just can't pick up that flair he has, even listening to random youtubers They start out with a simple *click* *click* *clickclick* *click* hi hat or snare or something and they add maybe a cowbell or something to it and it sounds fire. Idk if its the choice of sounds or my poor timing but I just don't have the flows, the rhythym to put down a cool drum pattern or something. I always feel that it doesn't sound right or it sounds too simple and I take out the sound or change some settings within the program.. IT bugs the shit out of me cause its a drum pattern, It can't be that hard to lay down a simple pattern but as u saw my shit sounds whack and theres other stuff before that i've made where my snares or my claps and kicks just aren't .. correctly placed. I just suck ass at laying down a pattern and getting it to fit with other sounds to make one good sounding pattern... I guess thats just a practice issue but idk I feel like theres something about arrangement and pattern placement i'm missing .

All in all, great advice. Especially A/B and leaving lots of room between my sequences to mess with other sounds, instead of trying to fill up that time at once. I got one more question to ask: how long does it take you to get something you think sounds musically good? I don't mean like a mastered track for a rapper with perfect EQ , shit ton of plugins, engineered to a tee to perfect Nah, I mean how long does it take for you to say okay I put in my melody, my drums , my x, my y, my whatever, this sounds like a beat. when I see people making beats in 30 minutes, 15 minutes, it gets nerve wracking cuz Its like wtf am I not doing that these guys are? I feel like Ispend too much time thinking about how the beat should sound or if It could sound better rather than just hitting pads... like i'll spend 30 minutes just tuning my pads to sound exactly right..
By cleansocks Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:or any criticism really. i like a little banter

The truth: You're all over the place. We call that a TRAIN WRECK. Delete and Start Over.
Tip: Listen to some trap/drill beats you like and practice remaking them.
Cold Facts: Everyone is wack when they start.
Cold Truth: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until you're not.

I appreciate that truth lol it really do sound whack and practice really is the easiest answer, I just haven't done it enough lol.. That being said as much of a train wreck as it is I'm gonna keep it up as an indicator of progress for myself to look back at one or two years from now.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 am
cleansocks wrote:I appreciate that truth lol it really do sound whack and practice really is the easiest answer, I just haven't done it enough lol.. That being said as much of a train wreck as it is I'm gonna keep it up as an indicator of progress for myself to look back at one or two years from now.

If you're making Trap don't over think it. It's very simple music to make. Made this in 3 minutes maybe less. Listen to the drum pattern and copy it. Sounds used a 808 Kick Drum, Hi Hat, Layer a Clap and Snare. It's 77 bpm at 4/4. Trap is all about the drums. Keep it simple.
By NearTao Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 pm
cleansocks wrote:- " I'd chop up, automate some filters... or something to your chorus and bass... it needs some surprise and movement... stutters... filter gates... anything"

when you say automate filters, I'm not quite sure how to do that.

So I forget which MPC you are on... or maybe never knew? At any rate, on all the ones I have experience with, you absolutely can record the Q-Link parameters.

On the Live/X/One... it's a bit obtuse, mostly because there is *so* many options for Q-Links... but I'll just assume this is what you have and if you've got something different then maybe somebody else can chime in. On the MPC you can hold down the Q-LINK button, and select the mode you want (I usually go for PROGRAM, but PAD can be what you want if you're looking to only change parameters for a specific pad), and then hit Q-LINK EDIT. This opens up a menu that allows you to assign parameters for each Q-Link to just about anything you want. So if you've got an LP Filter effect on your program, select Insert 1 (or whichever), and set parameter to filter.

Now as long a you change that Q-Link it will change that parameter in the effect. You can extend this to an insane degree into quite a few other parameters. At any rate... from the MAIN screen, you'll want to make sure the top right icon that is green with three dots and a R, is changed to red with an W... this lets you know that you can (R)ead or (W)rite parameters. in Write mode, when you record while your song is playing it will record the parameter change events for you. Practice this a lot, and you should get a hang of recording parameters. It's easy to get carried away... so keep it simple.

cleansocks wrote:besides that Idk how to make effects kick in at certain times within the sequence other than the Effects page

Yeah this kind of sucks on the MPC Live/X/One... you can however look for FX that have Dry/Wet, and pop them 0% to 100%. Or... and most people might suggest this... use send/returns to mix in an effect, or you can use Sub Mixes to have something applied fully to an effect. Just depends how you want to crack it.

I'd offer up more thoughts here... but I think it'll get you lost in something you should probably be keeping simple and just focus on parameter automations...

cleansocks wrote:which at least for drill is all occupied to STEREO LINK so my 808s are hearable.

I know I'm butchering what you wrote... but uhm... there are plenty of reasons your 808s may be unbearable... but I'll focus on two things.

* The speakers you are playing them on my not be able to reproduce them
* The rest of your mix may be too high

Honestly... for the first bullet, this is why you want to listen to your track on as many sound systems as possible to get a sense for how others may hear it. for the second bullet... well you don't have infinite headroom for your track, so sometimes you just need to lower the rest of your audio tracks to make room for what you want to shine.

cleansocks wrote:This is one of the biggest problems I sensed when Making this and I tried loading so many different sounds and mixing them together and I Felt the others were too sporadic so I settled on this..

Less is more... a sample used once is probably a mistake. A sample used strategically but sparingly can really draw the listener in. If used this way... you can swap samples around in your program and just try different things out without having to record more tracks.

cleansocks wrote:even listening to random youtubers They start out with a simple *click* *click* *clickclick* *click* hi hat or snare or something and they add maybe a cowbell or something to it and it sounds fire.

The artist is almost always the first, and harshest critic of their own music. I bet if you asked most of those Youtubers what they did not like about the track they made you'll get a long list of things you'd never think of.

Similarly... if you think somebody is dropping fire with a hi hat, snare, and cow bell (I know for example purposes, but still)... then you should pay attention to what and how they are doing it. I'd suggest you go check out CharlesRandolph's 264k Challenge and see what folks put together... hell put something together yourself. It'll force you out of your comfort zone and get you thinking about things like sound design, effects etc... instead of worrying about which one sound out of my ten thousand sounds belongs here.

For real though, anybody who's been doing this for any length of time can take a sample and twist it into something you'd think "okay, I know the sample came from a hi hat, but damn that sounds like a kick"... but this requires understanding the dynamics of the instruments you want to recreate, what is core to it, and where you can flourish.

cleansocks wrote:Idk if its the choice of sounds or my poor timing but I just don't have the flows, the rhythym to put down a cool drum pattern or something. I always feel that it doesn't sound right or it sounds too simple and I take out the sound or change some settings within the program.. IT bugs the shit out of me cause its a drum pattern, It can't be that hard to lay down a simple pattern

I feel like you're fretting over something that just comes from practice and thinking about it. If you want to master something you're talking about hundreds of hours to be decent, and thousands of hours for it to be natural. How many hours have you sunk into playing out rhythms? If you tell me you've done your 10k hours I'd probably tell you it is time to find another hobby, but if you're in the tens or hundreds then decide if it is for you, or you'll go back to working with loops or whatever. Plus... maybe now is not the time for you, you can always come back to it later.

I will say though, less is more. Practice playing out patterns like KHSH or KHHHSHHH, which sure is super simple, but it'll build up some muscle memory so you can then build to KHKHSHHHKHHKSHSH or whatever...

cleansocks wrote:All in all, great advice. Especially A/B and leaving lots of room between my sequences to mess with other sounds, instead of trying to fill up that time at once.

Leaving silence is dope too... force yourself to do it sometime.

cleansocks wrote:I got one more question to ask: how long does it take you to get something you think sounds musically good?

Well I finished off #Jamcember and #Jamuary (if you even care you can find them in the forums)... doing a track a day. Just out of sheer necessity to do 62 tracks (plus Beat Battles, Netflips, and some other non forum stuff)... I had to get really good at knowing where I was starting and how much time I would dedicate to working on a track for the day. Overall... I'd say 1-2 hours max for each track.

I blogged about both #jamcember and #jamuary.

At any rate... the "secret" was knowing what I knew well enough, practicing, and giving myself time to streamline processes before moving on to learning some new processes. Instead of trying to throw in the entire kitchen sink of tricks I'd decide which thing I want to focus on. Plus, knowing when to throw in the towel and just say "this stinks and there is nothing I can do about it helps". If you decided to go through the tracks I posted each day you'll see there is a bell curve of "pretty good" to "yeah okay" to "this is garbage". This is natural... and what CharlesRandolph was getting at... though I don't make money off of this, so I can handle posting hot garbage, because while it might reflect poorly on me... I don't have a music career to worry about.

cleansocks wrote:I mean how long does it take for you to say okay I put in my melody, my drums , my x, my y, my whatever, this sounds like a beat.

In "track a day mode"... probably 2-5 minutes each... more towards 5-10 minutes if I'm making multiple sections. But remember, I had to move into an efficiency mode. Today... without the pressure, I'm happy to noodle around for 30-60 minutes and just zen out.

cleansocks wrote:when I see people making beats in 30 minutes, 15 minutes, it gets nerve wracking cuz Its like wtf am I not doing that these guys are?

Remember, Youtube is *produce* and *fabricated*... so you have no idea how long somebody has practiced ahead of time to make the one take look good. Even a fifteen minute warm up exercise can get you in the mood, juices flowing, and ready to go. So while you're trying to figure out how they got the kick and snare to sound tight so quick, it is entirely possible that they picked those out ahead of time. On the flip side... they also likely have been doing it long enough that they've developed an ear to know if they need a touch of filter, pitch shifting or something to sound better... all things you might not have developed for yourself.

cleansocks wrote:I feel like Ispend too much time thinking about how the beat should sound or if It could sound better rather than just hitting pads... like i'll spend 30 minutes just tuning my pads to sound exactly right..

Yeah I hear you... but there is "sounds right" and "sounds right"... both sound and look exactly the same... but one is about commitment to perfection and the other is about inability to commit. Honestly, two sides of the same coin... personally it sounds like you should toss the coin for now... it's a bad penny and will show up again later. Just set some commitments to yourself... wether it is doing a track a day no matter what, or signing up for some beat battles... whatever it is... challenge yourself in a small area at a time, and you will get there. No mountain is insurmountable if you can take it one step at a time, but very few people can do it in one giant leap, especially without a lot of help and support.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:22 pm
cleansocks wrote:I like that. I'mma make Q-Link the next thing I dive into .

I used the q-links heavily on mpc4k. It’s one of the reasons I love the 16 q-links on X. Q-links are a great capability of mpc’s.