New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By JesseJemz Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 pm
So I've been demoing MPC Beats and have previously demoed MPC LIVE 2.0 software and I have not had an enjoyable experience. I know many say that the software is terrible and they have no issues with the hardware unit. I'm a logic user and make hip hop/breakbeats for street dancers/bboys and I want to incorporate an MPC into my workflow. Even though I've had bad experience with the software, I find it much better to lay out live drum patterns and sampling compared to doing it in Logic. Finger drumming and sampling is so much more intuitive than trying to do it in Logic. I can't completely give up logic because I frequently use live instruments such as guitar, bass, and some software VST in most of my productions and utilize UAD plug-ins and amp sims.

My thought was to use MPC Live standalone synced to logic via MIDI (I thought I would like to use it in controller mode but I don't want anything to do with the software plug-in, implementation in Logic X is terrible). So, MPC synced up via MIDI in standalone mode, all drums and sampling done on MPC Live and live instruments recorded to Logic X. Then when the production is done I will track everything out to Logic X and final MIX done in Logic. I almost thought about going completely hardware, Line 6 helix for guitars and bass directly in to MPC, and buying a few hardware synths instead of VST's and the just using Logic X to mix the final production but 8 audio tracks could be limiting. Then I would track everything out to Logic X, I love mixing with my UAD plugins.

Always, I hope this wasn't too much to read but I really need some real world opinions and advice. Should I be scared of the MPC Live because I had bad experience with the software? I was gonna pull the trigger and order the MPC live today but I'm hesitant. I guess I order and try it out and if I don't like it I can return it.
By Lampdog Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:19 am
JesseJemz wrote:I guess I order and try it out and if I don't like it I can return it.

Yep. Make SURE that you can try it for some days, weeks and your able to return it if you don't like it. I hate the software, I am 99% standalone and usually only place my X in controller mode to "tiddy up" the SSD I placed inside (ssd shows up as a folder in explorer/finder).