New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By SVBJECT Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:13 pm
As the title suggests, how do you get a single useful thing out of DrumSynth?

Any other plugin my MIDI input will play different notes.
DrumSynth plug has the various specific drums, or the multi.
Specific drums, the MIDI input only plays ONE note. To test that on the MPC pads, it is exactly the same, ie 16 pads all doing the same thing - how absolutely useless (sorry 15/16ths useless, I'd hate whoever designed it to read this and feel 16/16 like a terrible person)
Non-specific drums - DrumSynth:Multi 8 pads do nothing (whoever designed it got lazy or something?) the other 8 do something, but my MIDI input does absolutely nothing.

So, compared to any other plugin, external MIDI input on any drumsynth is either almost useless, or entirely useless, and the MPC pads are either 8/16ths useless, or 15/16ths useless.

Just what the....?
By mrrafs Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:40 am
Don’t get your ratios? 8/16th is that tempo division

The multi works from C-2 for 8 notes up. The single pad is useful for melodic stuff, I.e. tuned kicks.

If you want to use different pads mappings then use a midi drum program, and map the pads their to c2+8 notes (use the workstation software not standalone). Then you can then send the midi program to the drum synth.

(For greater control use a hardware midi feedback loop cable for a straight map, or via third party hardware to remap the midi, for full control)
By hyena Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 am
SVBJECT wrote:As the title suggests, how do you get a single useful thing out of DrumSynth?

Any other plugin my MIDI input will play different notes.
DrumSynth plug has the various specific drums, or the multi.
Specific drums, the MIDI input only plays ONE note. To test that on the MPC pads, it is exactly the same, ie 16 pads all doing the same thing - how absolutely useless (sorry 15/16ths useless, I'd hate whoever designed it to read this and feel 16/16 like a terrible person)
Non-specific drums - DrumSynth:Multi 8 pads do nothing (whoever designed it got lazy or something?) the other 8 do something, but my MIDI input does absolutely nothing.

So, compared to any other plugin, external MIDI input on any drumsynth is either almost useless, or entirely useless, and the MPC pads are either 8/16ths useless, or 15/16ths useless.

Just what the....?

some of the drum synth types have a "chromatic mode", if you enable it, they will be tuned. not all can, claps cant be tuned iirc
By T-Monk Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 pm
I think you are maybe looking at it incorrectly. As a multi, its like a drum machine (808,909, etc.) and you can change each drum sound and mix it. If the whole machine did just that, it would rival other drum machines. You can also setup each piece as a single plugin on a track and do tuning per synth, again, except the clap, and maybe others.

Or are you saying that the tuning doesn’t work like 16 levels?