New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ottopotto Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm
I want to buy a mpc, but im kinda unsure what to go for. I kinda have this feeling that i like older thingys, or hardware that isnt as capable cause that kinda makes it more fun and a bit easier maybe. Am i the only one that kinda has this feeling, cause i like enjoy the po-33 and how it is kinda easier mot limited. And what mpc should i get?

Rn in sweden i can buy a fully upgraded mpc 1000* for 550 dollars or a mpc one for 750
Last edited by ottopotto on Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Wed May 12, 2021 3:58 pm
Live is portable, One is not.
Live has less buttons, One has more dedicated buttons.
Live can have internal hdd, One cannot.
Live has more outputs/port in back. One has less.
Live has full sized pads, One has slightly smaller pads.
Both have same operating system.
By ottopotto Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm
Lampdog wrote:Live is portable, One is not.
Live has less buttons, One has more dedicated buttons.
Live can have internal hdd, One cannot.
Live has more outputs/port in back. One has less.
Live has full sized pads, One has slightly smaller pads.
Both have same operating system.

Hey man im sorry i kinda **** up my post i was meant to talk about the 1000 and not the live, sorry hahaha.
By Lampdog Wed May 12, 2021 4:21 pm
All good. I'd suggest going newer, but, do what you feel is right for you.
By NearTao Wed May 12, 2021 4:58 pm
MPC 1k is absolutely solid, especially if you get it fully upgraded and keep it maintained. That said, I sold off my 1k and moved to the MPC Live and haven't looked back. There's a bit of nostalgia there, but the newer MPCs are far more capable, streamlined, and straightforward for the most part.

The MPC 1k and Live are both far more capable then the PO-33. If you're looking for something that stripped down, I don't think the Akai line is really what you're looking for.
By saltmcgault Wed May 12, 2021 5:00 pm
ottopotto wrote:fully upgraded mpc 1000* for 550 dollars or a mpc one for 750

i'd go with the mpc one but do whatever blows your hair back.
By ottopotto Wed May 12, 2021 5:56 pm
NearTao wrote:MPC 1k is absolutely solid, especially if you get it fully upgraded and keep it maintained. That said, I sold off my 1k and moved to the MPC Live and haven't looked back. There's a bit of nostalgia there, but the newer MPCs are far more capable, streamlined, and straightforward for the most part.

The MPC 1k and Live are both far more capable then the PO-33. If you're looking for something that stripped down, I don't think the Akai line is really what you're looking for.

Is the mpc 1000 expenisve to maintain? Like do i need to replace things often with it?
By DokBrown Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 pm
There are a lot of other posts on this; use that advanced SEARCH
By NearTao Wed May 12, 2021 6:25 pm
ottopotto wrote:
Is the mpc 1000 expenisve to maintain? Like do i need to replace things often with it?

I did some upgrades and repairs myself... but tact switches are likely to need Deoxit if they are sticky or non responsive. If you're good with a soldering iron you can replace them yourself.

For myself, I just did a lot of upgrades and basic maintenance on mine... but nothing major.
By T-Monk Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 pm
I’ve only used the MPC1000 on a limited basis, but the MPC One blows it away. That said, the 1000 just does what it does, and if you want a basic drum machine sampler, it may fit the bill.

I’d suggest reaching out to sellers and just ask for a discount on the MPC One. A month ago it was $699, now it’s $799. I got mine over a month ago for under $700 including tax and shipping.
By ontherun Thu May 13, 2021 7:49 am
i still have my 2500, i got a MPC One a couple of months back.
I really enjoying the new MPC and just use the 2500 as a drummodul,
but when Audiointerface Support comes to the new one i will retire the old one.
The new workflow is nice and I like working witht he touchscreen and effects inside the one
By J.D. Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:23 am
Hi,
here are my thought of old vs new MPC.
I own a MPC Renaissance, a MPC500 and recently bought a 2000xl.
So, I don‘t have one of the newest machines, but the Ren as all the same features, only it‘s bound to a Computer.
I played with the One though.

I think, which MPC to get heavily depends on what you want to do with it.
The newer MPCs are complete DAWs. You can to nearly everything with them.
Need a bass-sound? Just kick in a plugin an boom, there you have it. Endless PLugins, endless Instruments, endles possibilities.

My MPC Ren is hooked up to an old MacBook which is only for the MPC. I sample on it, chop some Samples up on the Pads, it‘s fun to play around with it…
But it almost always ends in teh same way: Use some Samples, or not. Add VSTs/AUs layer Bass, Keys, etc. and build up some sequences…

I believe I built the same song about 50 times, just because it happens…
The newer MPCs are really cool instruments, and can do so much, for mw, it can kill my creative sample-workflow, because it‘s just so much Plugins, I loose the connection to sample-based music…

I recently bought the 2000xl, because it is JUST A (DRUM)SAMPLER. All sounds get sampled in it.
The workflow is so streamlined, I just love it.
It‘s just a different kind of music that I create with the 2000xl. It is very well possible to make the same Beats with the Ren, but they just don‘t happen.

So, if you wnat a complete music-tool, the new MPCs are THE SHIT!!! You can do everything in them, so if you want one device to create all sorts of music and not be hindered by anything, get a MPC One or Live.
But if you want to create sample-based music, old is gold. Get a 1000, 2500… They are really cool devices! Great workflow, great features! (For the purpose tehy were created).

Regards,
J.D.
By Bombbeats4000 Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:08 am
There are 2 things you need to question yourself.

Stand alone or Controller based ?

If you choose standalone than the ONLY choice that makes sense is the MPC One or the Live MK2.

If you pick controller mode then a Studio, REN or even Touch would make the most sense.
Drawback is that the controllers are usually used so no warranty. While the recent MPCs can be found new and work perfect as a controller also.

Vintage MPCs are best left alone as they are really pricey for what you get, storage is outdated, no warranty and most of the time they are in need of service or parts that needs replacement.
Go ahead and look for a fully equiped 2000XL with a good display, all working switches, 32MB, effects and the 8 out and your looking at the price of a brandew LIve 2 these days or almost 2x the MPC One.

Dont get caught up in tHe sound comparison games, older isnt always better and in the end it all comes down to productivity and this is where most people will make the most of with the recent models.
Making 6 beats in the time it takes them to make a beat on an older MPC.
Especially if you havent had a MPC before it does not make much sense to buy an older one.

Sure, people here will disagree but i dont care.
By Jasonpit Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:14 pm
I feel like people aren’t really answering / asking the right questions - I have the 2000xl loaded with CF card as well as a fully loaded 1000. The workflows are similar, I agree with point that different creations come from both and especially different from any kind of computer - I don’t have any experience with the latest models. But the sound quality is different on the 2 models - the 2000xl is better and the filters on it are cleaner and stronger - for example your can produce a clean round bass sound similar to a sign wave from just about any sample… this is not even remotely possible on the 1000 and I’d like to know if that’s the case on all the other newer models - if anyone can elaborate that’d be awesome. This I think is due to the fact that the 2xl has a quarts crystal clock, which provides a more accurate sample rate due to having less jitter. The battle of the sample rates 44.1-96k whatever is mute if you don’t have a good sample rate clock…. - although it has less features I’m a total diva with quality and I just make better music on the 2xl based on its quality.
I’ve heard complaints / comparisons with the effects and I think anyone stating that the 1000 has better effects is basing the opinion on that it has more easier to use effects - they do not sound better and are not as pro by any means.

I love my 2xl

Guys let me know if this resonates with the new modes - is anything current able to compete with the quality?? :popcorn:
By Lampdog Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 am
I have a 2kxl and MPC X, you can make X sound like 2kxl. It’s not an issue imo.