New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By kaleidoplasm Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:34 am
I have an mpc one, and I have a nice little bank of drum loops that I want to do the following with

I want to hit a pad, triggering a drum loop to play, and then I want to be able to hit another one, causing the next one to play on loop indefinitely. Something likes this. The idea is that I want to play sampled drum loops with a drum machine and 303 synth, maybe trigger some cool sounds on loop, and just jam some dank patterns.

So, what I have to do now is first load and assign the samples, no problem, then I need to trim and match the samples all to the bpm I want to play in. I group them all together and set them either to mono and to cut each other out when they play.

The close I've got to the set up I want is to record a drum loop. When I play another one set at the same beat, the old one just plays and the new one doesn't take precedence as they are playing at the same time.

I'm up a tree on this one, and I guess I need a little help getting down! I've searched to no avail and don't really know where to go with this one. Please advise.
By Linen Associate Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:30 pm
Could always assign each sample to a separate track in the same sequence, changing track length per sample for the desired loop effect, raise the sequence bars to 999 or whatever and then use the track mute menu.
By kaleidoplasm Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:22 pm
Valuable and excellent replies! Clip programs is like, exactly exactly what I had in mind! Wow, I can't believe it was that easy, I thought I was really going to have to rig up some sort of insane rube goldberg mousetrap type situation to get some drum loops to play. Thanks so much guys, this looks very promising!
By Ill-Green Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:44 am
kaleidoplasm wrote:would the akai force be more suited to what I'm trying to do here?

Ok, so what you want is, that you hit a pad with a drum loop, it plays on until you hit a different pad with another drum loop and that will silence the first drum loop but keep the second one looping and so on?

Well, if its that, it can be done with mute groups or you can mock up a good song mode setup to give you that. I hear the Force is different but I never used or saw one to tell you the truth.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:55 am
kaleidoplasm wrote:would the akai force be more suited to what I'm trying to do here?

The Force is more suited to a clips-based workflow, without a doubt. Clips on an MPC are a bit of an afterthought and there's no support for midi clips, only audio. But what you describe is certainly possible on an MPC, but if your main aim in purchasing an MPC is to trigger loops, definitely also consider the Force. I suggest you check out some youtube videos of people using a Force so you can see what it's capable of. Nick Trikakis is quite accomplished on the Force: