New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By jimmy Recard Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 am
Hello,

I've spent just short of 4 hours trying a billion Software settings and Hardware cabling etc and online research and Still can't figure it out...

I have a Lexicon Alpha (Pretty sure it's the Alpha Studio - it says LEXALPHAV underneath)

I want to use it with my Windows 8.1 PC.

Up until now I've just used a basic built in VIA HD Sound device (part of the Gigabyte MOBO) which the computer normally uses (yes - No proper soundcard) - and I tried plugging this in but I'm really confused...

I used to record/mix heaps so I'm not a complete noob - but I've always used internal soundcards on a prior computer. I'm not sure how things work with an external one?

I can't figure out how exactly I'm suppose to set all the windows settings and plug things in/out with cables to be able to use my PC like normal - eg hear like normal - that is hear all the sounds on the computer AND the sounds I'm inputting.

I should point out that I'm talking about MIDI and Actual Audio (eg from a mic or line in).

So for example - I need it set up like normal - so I can use my Akai MPK Mini MK3 in the MPC Beats software (Free Mini DAW or Ableton etc) and be able to play/hear/record MIDI - AS WELL AS being able to hear audio from the PC - eg music playing via Spotify software/VLC or maybe I want to keep switching screens between a Youtube Tutorial video and back and forth to the MPC Beats or Ableton etc trying to replicate the Video Tutorial?

But when I try using the Alpha - I can't get it to work like normal?

AT one point I could hear the MIDI in the MPC Beats - but then I couldn't hear any PC sounds?

Should the audio out going into my speakers come from the back of my PC still - or from the Alpha? Or Am I supposed to take a line out from the Alpha into the line in on the PC then use the speakers out from the PC as normal etc?

I've got the latest Lexicon drivers and that seems to include it's own Alpha ASIO driver. That's what appears in the Sound settings for Windows and MPC Beats. I've heard about ASIO4ALL - however, from what I've read; my understanding is that it's better to stick to your own devices custom ASIO driver if it has one?

Here's a screenshot of some of the Win 8.1 Sound settings stuff incl VIA HD. This shot is with the Alpha unplugged ok!

https://imgur.com/a/PyEQicC

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you