New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By halfcut Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm
Hi All,
I'm trying to create some backing tracks from existing audio files and midi sequences created in Ableton.

I've managed to import the Audio tracks but I'm struggling to just import a midi file to sit in a separate track in the same sequence as the other audio files - I assumed it would be a similar case of just going to the Browser window to load into the project?

I know you have 6 options in the midi track, Drum Programme, plugins, Keygroup, Clip Programme, Midi Programme and CV.

The sequence is 82 bars long and I have a few bars in the middle where the midi will play, so I just want to trigger the midi clip with the audio and then when the midi notes are triggered I can then assign to some hardware synths - These seems like the absolute bread and butter of what this machine is made for, just seems weird how un obvious importing a midi file is, so far!

Thanks in advance, help would be greatly appreciated.

Halfcut
By halfcut Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:16 pm
SO I'm part way to resolving this, but by no means an easy feat.

It seems when importing a midi file - you are not importing a midi pattern per se, but the MPC wants you to start a brand new sequence, that might include the midi pattern as the heart of the new sequence.

so, from what I can tell, the best workflow scenario would be to start a new sequence with the Midi track as the first import, and then if you want to import audio tracks (main use case here for full length Backing tracks), then you are free to do so.

If you want to insert full midi tracks to existing sequences, your best bet is to import as the next new sequence, and then copy and paste the midi track data using SHIFT copy then SHIFT paste from one track in one sequence, to the track you want it to be in, in the other sequence.

I'm trying to learn now how to specifically target and load MPC midi patterns (which seems to be different to a regular .midi file)
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:50 pm
Yes the only way is to import the MIDI file as a complete sequence and then copy paste (or add to the imported sequence). MIDI patterns can be loaded directly to an empty track.

That said, you can use this tool to convert MIDI to MPC pattern format: http://www.fentonia.com/catnip/midianmpc/index.html