New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By dcarmich1 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:25 am
I've been an electronic music producer for around seven years using software (my tracks: http://soundcloud.com/douglas-1) and the USB output features of the recent 2.10 software update (along with Bitwig control support from DrivenByMoss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtQLUAxMxg) have made me look at an MPC for my studio.

Also, I enjoyed working with the classic Roland MV-8000 because of the tactile, streamlined interface.

Which of the MPCs would feel most like the MV-8000 in terms of using more of the front panel versus the touchscreen? Could you easily record a sequence and perform basic editing from the front panel only?
(I'm looking at a One, but the X seems to have the most controls of all of them.)

How well does the MPC link to a DAW?

Thanks in advance!
By Ill-Green Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:13 pm
I was a heavy user of the 8800.

MPC and MV are not alike at all. You may have MV features in the Live but you won't get MV flow. So don't expect to adapt to an MPC overnight.

Though MPCs are not too hard to navigate around, its just different wording for feature names, like Mute Groups on the MPC, are Exclusive Groups on the MV. Also, Song Mode on the MV is nothing like the MPC, where you get 8 audio tracks and 128 MIDI tracks, on the MPC is just a list to chain sequences to create a song. So keep that in mind.

But creating sequences on the MPC is like the MV's Song mode though.
By dcarmich1 Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:37 pm
Thanks for the informative reply!

I had the chance to try out the MPC One and the pads felt very stiff (almost rock hard) compared to the MV-8000 and other devices I've tried.

The person I talked to said that the pads would become less stiff over time as I used them. Is that true?
By DokBrown Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:04 am
the MV8000/8800 was only matched by the MPC4000 & I still favor the MV. With the 2 sampling engines & the VGA OUTPUT & 8 sliders, it will never be rivaled.

IF you really work well with the MV, I would just keep a backup MV around. Mine died after 2 years of use, so I sold it for $400-600 to a dude who was vested in it [he had been using the MV for a decade]. I would have bought another 1 if the MPC X hadn’t come out that year.

If u want to abandon the MV, then the MPC X or FORCE is solid.
There is NOTHING like the MV on OS 3.54.
This machine was only restricted by its old processor, RAM & HDD.
Furthermore, It wasn’t swamped by bugs. The new MPCs are going thru going pains. I’m sure this will smooth out come 2023-25.