New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By encoder Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:07 am
Hi there guys,

First of all, sorry about the (for you) obviously dumb questions...
I'm fully new to the MPC, I've been thinking about getting one for about 20+ years, hadn't until now.
At Reverb, a 500 popped up for a good price so I bought it.

I don't produce hip-hop, so it is not going to be my main thing, I'd like to use it as a sort of dirty, noisy drum sampler (for techno).

I've got it for about a day, loaded some samples, recorded a sequence, yet, there are two things that I can't figure out.
I've checked the manual ... boy, I've got a printed one, I literally slept with it, but, no answer...

There is some annoying polyphony setting issue.
Notes are cancelling each other, yet, the sequence is really really simple, a fully normal 909 kick with 909 hats.
I've loaded the samples, kick to A1, hihat to A2, both inside the same program, Program01.
On track 1 I have the kick, on track 2 I have the hihats.
When the hihats came in, they cancel the kick.
What could be the problem?
If I add more samples to the pads and record those, it gets even worse...

Is it possible to run tracks with different lengths in the same sequence?
You know, I'd live to achieve some sort of polyrhythm here.
By encoder Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am
I've copied the project into my mac, opened it up in MPC Beats, all the track, MIDI and sample data is there, sounds OK to me.
I'm pretty sure that I have messed up the polyphony settings somewhere.

All the pads in the program are set to MONO.
All the pads are recorded into a separate track.
Should I set the program itself into POLY (I assume yes), if yes, where?
By encoder Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:08 am
Read through the manual again, no option to set the tracks to different lengths.
...yet, for the polyphony question, I'm still blind :(
By encoder Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 am
Shoot, tried that, but, actually, doesn't helped, or (which is failry possible :D) I just forgot to hit the "do it" button?
Anyway, I'll try it in POLY mode then.
I may forgot to exit the program edit mode that is the reason I did not hear any difference.

One shot or Note on with Poly makes any difference, is there a connection between these settings?
(This is just a plain simple drumkit, no long samples or anything like that...)
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:20 am
Drums would typically be one shot. Just set the program to poly and you should be fine. If it's still doing it, make sure your mute groups on the pads are 'off', but all these settings should be default.

Sit down with the manual to start getting to grips with the features, maybe check out my MPC500 bible: https://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php ... he-mpc500/
By encoder Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Ok, so, followed the instructions and everything crashed again after I tried to load up something.
Now, I was pretty sure that it is not me...

So, I've replaced the CF card, who knows.
NO.

Then, I popped up the battery door and checked the RAM.
It is a 256 MB Samsung one (PC133-333-542 CL3).
Removed it, just to check that everything is OK.

No fuzz since!
Everything works like a charm!

WTF?
Bad memory?
Bad size? ... obviously, but could this cause this?