New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Tomás From Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:22 pm
Hello everyone,

I am a composer looking for my first MPC. I mostly use my computer to write music and I was wanting the MPC to be more like a musical instrument to jam with and come up with ideas.

I think the experience with modern MPCs can be quite similar to working on a DAW and I was wanting to get out from that workflow a little bit so I have been looking at the older models.

I am still not sure if I will like using the MPC as I've never used one, so I was wanting to get one of the more affordable models. I also want it to be portable.

That made me arrive at the conclusion that 1000 could be a good option, maybe 2500 as well. What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm not used to working with 'old' technology, so could someone explain me how the samples management work with these machines? Are they just stored in a card and I can move the files through USB from my Macbook?

Anything else to keep in mind? As I said I'm new in this world, so any tips are appreciated!

Best,
By DokBrown Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm
A] If you want a modern experience, you MUST get the FORCE or MPC ONE.
The FORCE just a came a long way, but I’m not qualified to speak on it b/c I only have the MPC LIVE. The FORCE is like ableton LIVE while the MPC is more for old-school linear arrangement [Cubase, LOGIC].

B] If you just want MIDI & basic sampling, get a MPC1000 with JJOS
Much smaller learning curve but nothing like a DAW

Do some advanced searches here

MPC COMPARISON FORUM FORUM
viewforum.php?f=24
By NearTao Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm
The MPC 1k/2.5k are sufficiently modern that you're not likely to run directly into any particular sample format issues... they both work with 44.1khz/16-bit .wav files. So as long as you can convert to that format or already in that format you'll be fine. You can put the MPC 1k/2.5k into USB Drive mode, so you can mount your storage onto your PC/Mac, though over USB 1... this will help prevent from wearing out the CF card reader pins.

That said, personally I'd look at the new MPC One/Live. Way more functional, way more modern. Yes JJOS can do some things that the newer MPCs cannot, but the newer MPCs have a far larger mountain of things they are able to do. I'd also say that the MPC One and the Force are both a steal for the features you get and what they can do.

Good luck!
By Tomás From Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 am
@DokBrown @NearTao Thanks for your replies!

I'm still keeping the idea of going for an older model. Probably a 1000 or 2500.

Some other options I could have access to are:

- 2000XL Blue edition. I would like to know first: how would I manage samples from the computer with this one? What other problems regarding old technology would I be facing?
- 5000. Maybe the 2500 with JJOS is an overall better choice here? Or even the 1000
- Renaissance. Does it make sense to use this machine today? Is the software still compatible with modern computers?

Thanks again!
By NearTao Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am
There's not too many wrong choices here...

I would suggest avoiding the Ren... even if you can get it working now... being tied to a computer, and specific os... well it's already long in the tooth... I wouldn't expect much from support and the older it gets the less it will be compatible with future products.
By jabberwalky Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:26 pm
I think you'd have to explain more what you intend to do with the MPC. The old ones are limited. For example, only the MPC4000 and up have polyphonic keygroups for melodic playing/sequencing.
By NearTao Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm
MPC 1k/2.5k with paid JJOS have polyphonic key groups... and is probably my number one feature from JJOS that makes the 1k/2.5k absolutely viable today.
By jabberwalky Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:28 pm
NearTao wrote:MPC 1k/2.5k with paid JJOS have polyphonic key groups... and is probably my number one feature from JJOS that makes the 1k/2.5k absolutely viable today.

Oh, I stand corrected! I wasn't aware JJOS did that. Makes a cheap old 1k seem quite worth it then.
By misterflibble Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:58 am
I would strongly recommend a Force. It's more like DAW with its multi-track Arranger. MPC uses a sequence-based workflow that isn't veery DAW-like.