New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ThinkerThunker Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:18 pm
Let's say I pull in a drum kit and build the beat I want. But then only want to "introduce" that beat pieces at a time throughout a song, with just the kick in an Intro sequence, with all the other drum sounds muted out. Then in the next sequence, maybe one bar later, I un-mute and introduce high hats, and so on.

I'm finding that if I mute or unmate a drum sound or sample in one sequence, it changes in every sequence that uses that same drum program. Wouldn't it make more sense for changes to a program to only affect the sequence it's in?

I know I can "Bounce to Sample" all my different drum parts, then play them individually in a Clip program, but that's creating a lot of extra overhead, with all the extra wave files I'm creating.

What is your preferred method for "having different drum parts in different sequences to a song, all coming from the same kit? I'm sure I've missed something simple. That or maybe this is a choice AKAI could give us in future updates, deciding whether changes to a program are "Global," or per sequence.

And if you don't know, can't help or don't at least have anything constructive to add, please don't answer.

Thanks.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:08 pm
You shouldn't need separate programs. How are you 'muting' the kick drum? If you literally mute the pad (e.g. using 'pad mutes'), then the pad is muted everywhere until you unmute it.

If you place each drum on a separate track (kick track, snare, hat etc) you can instead use track mutes, these are limited to a specific track only.

Or, literally erase the kick events from your intro sequence.
By DokBrown Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:31 pm
Most of my drums come from my external drum machines [korg, IK UNO, drumbrute] When u mute the hardware kick, that sound is not available in any tracks.The MPC DRUM PROGRAM is mimicking this.

MIDI & tracks is def the way to do this NOT muting the pad.
Mute/delete the kick midi notes on the intro sequence
Leave the kick midi notes in the main sequences
By ThinkerThunker Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:58 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:You shouldn't need separate programs. How are you 'muting' the kick drum? If you literally mute the pad (e.g. using 'pad mutes'), then the pad is muted everywhere until you unmute it.

If you place each drum on a separate track (kick track, snare, hat etc) you can instead use track mutes, these are limited to a specific track only.

Hey, thanks everyone!

Creating different Tracks for each different part of the drum kit (HH, Snare, Tom, etc ...) and then using Track Mute was the answer. Thanks MPC_T. (And by the way, I was muting in the Pad Mix window. Which again affected that program across all Sequences.

What worked even better for me was ....

1. First create your entire drum part, with all the bells and whistles.
2. Hit the "track edit" pencil icon.
3. Then hit "EXPLODE."
4. Now you can use Track Mute to mute or un-mute any parts you want, live. And record the automation if you wish.

So the "explode" feature really is the bomb (pun intended) that I was looking for. Because it will separate your drum part into Tracks containing ALL of the different drum parts you played (Kick, snare, HH, etc ...) along with the midi notes. Then if you're anal you can go rename all the tracks to "Kick," "snare" or whatever.
By DokBrown Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:42 pm
EXPLODE does appear to be a powerful feature. I wonder how well it works on pure MIDI tracks . . . .
By Bradley Smith Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:24 pm
ThinkerThunker wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:You shouldn't need separate programs. How are you 'muting' the kick drum? If you literally mute the pad (e.g. using 'pad mutes'), then the pad is muted everywhere until you unmute it.

Hey, thanks everyone!

Creating different Tracks for each different part of the drum kit (HH, Snare, Tom, etc ...) and then using Track Mute was the answer. Thanks MPC_T. (And by the way, I was muting in the Pad Mix window. Which again affected that program across all Sequences.

What worked even better for me was ....

1. First create your entire drum part, with all the bells and whistles.
2. Hit the "track edit" pencil icon.
3. Then hit "EXPLODE."
4. Now you can use Track Mute to mute or un-mute any parts you want, live. And record the automation if you wish.

So the "explode" feature really is the bomb (pun intended) that I was looking for. Because it will separate your drum part into Tracks containing ALL of the different drum parts you played (Kick, snare, HH, etc ...) along with the midi notes. Then if you're anal you can go rename all the tracks to "Kick," "snare" or whatever.

Explode sounds brilliant!!!! That's literally how I create my drumtracks; Make the most complex bar I'm ever going to need and then start subtracting things into new bars (tracks).
By misterflibble Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:42 am
The reason that Programs are reused is that you can only have so many of them for things like Plugins (max of 8). Personally, I think this approach makes a lot of sense anyway. Tracks are just piano rolls that tell assigned Programs what to play. Programs can be driven by one of more Track. Programs then funnel audio into a global mixer for your entire project, so that if you make changes to FX or levels or whatever, they apply to all the Tracks/Sequences that make reuse of those Programs.

On Force, Akai took away the notion of a discrete Program, so Programs are backed in certain kinds of Tracks. You can reuse those Programs by making sidecar MIDI Tracks assigned to play the Track the Program is baked into, but that feels artificial to me. I like the way they broke the entities out on MPC better.