New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Nathan Rosquist Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:33 am
I'm new to the MPC world and very very confused about how to monitor audio levels from midi drum and clip tracks. :?

(I'm on an MPC X).

My problem is that I have lots of midi drum and clip tracks, and several of these are sharing programs. I need a way to tell which track some audio that I hear is coming from.

It looks like the bouncy blue monitor meter thingies in several views (e.g. the Channel Mixer, Track view, in the software mixer window) are showing only midi information, and not audio information. If I have a clip that gets triggered by the grid, the blue indicator light just bounces once, even though the sample keeps playing for a while.

Here's where I hope I'm wrong: I can only see actual AUDIO levels coming from a program and not an individual track. In the channel strip in Main Mode, there's a bouncy green monitor meter thingy, but it seems to be the program's audio, and there's no way to monitor the AUDIO from a track in isolation.

Like if two tracks are using the same clip program, the green audio meter shows the program audio, not the track audio. And annoyingly, if I audio-mute one, it audio-mutes the other. If one of the two tracks (using the same program) is midi-muted in Track Mute view or something, the green meter still moves. I would expect it to not move if the track is muted.

Not sure if I'm articulating myself but does anyone have any times for monitoring audio at a per-track level?

Or am I doing it wrong, and I should never reuse programs?

Or is sub-mixes the only way to do this?