New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By giacecco Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 am
Hi All, I'm relatively new to MPC, learning using a Live mk1 and the "bible" around chapters 16-18 at the moment. I hope my question is not too naive.

I am wondering why changing the "tune" parameter immediately affects the timeline - e.g. showing how a higher pitch naturally takes a shorter number of beats to playback - but changing the BPM count does not change the timeline at all.

Note: I do not expect the sample to sound differently, it should not, but just for the MPC to acknowledge the information. I expected that changing the "BPM" worked as a "statement" I make to the MPC, saying "Whatever you think, this is 97 BPM and you must trust me"

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

G.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:17 pm
'Tempo' is how many beats per minute. The pitch is the frequency which is how many cycles per second.

However, for some reason in DJing terminology changing the tempo actually means both pitch-shifting and time-stretching.

https://blog.landr.com/time-stretching-pitch-shifting/
By giacecco Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:33 am
Thanks @Lampdog. What you describe is very clear, though my question was different. However, you've inspired me to do a little extra test and I believe I've understood more.

The original question is: in sample edit, why doesn't the timeline change when I change a sample's BPM count?

The answer is: because the timeline is calculated to represent the duration of the sample against the current sequence's tempo, whose tempo was not changed!

My error was thinking that the timeline is calculated to represent the duration o the sample vs its own tempo... that - if I write it like this - feels quite stupid :-)

G.