New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ThinkerThunker Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:52 pm
I just want to be able to record in audio from external synths or whatever. WHILE ... tweaking knobs, playing a drum kit or triggering Clip programs on the MPC. But as best as I can tell, that's not currently possible.

And yes, the Sampler mode is great, but the second you leave the Sampler to trigger a Clip or whatever - the Sampler stops. And it seems to be the same when recording external audio into one of the 8 audio tracks.

The Looper mode, on the other hand, is AWESOME. And does allow me to record external audio, WHILE doing other things on the MPC. But the Looper is only good for up to 16 bars at the most.

It seems Akai either needs to extend the Looper beyond 16 bars, or give us a "Record Live Session" mode. And please don't tell me "A sampler is a sampler, go buy a recorder." Because again, the Looper is already doing what I need, but limits me to 16 bars. I want to "jam" a performance and record it. And doing that 16 bars at a time, then assembling the different sequences in Song mode isn't the same as "jamming a live session."

Am I missing something? Is this currently possible? Any help or work-arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks.
By DokBrown Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:18 pm
The MPC was always designed for recording small snippets& then gett’n busy. If AKAI varied too much from this, they risked alienating the MPC base. I suspect the FORCE might be more up your alley.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/rc-505mk2/

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Recording on this machine could be much easier & fluid. I think the simplest solution is to “open up” the audio track possibilities. The LOOPER is clearly a mimic of a guitar pedal looper & those guys rarely needs more than 16 bars.