New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By converted Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 pm
hi im a newbie, so this might be a daft question , but whats the difference between the MPC expansions and the MPC beats packs?

i guess an obvious would be that one has instruments + drums and the other is just drum packs?

do they both load / store in the mpc hardware ready use when powering up (using internal storage) ? or via computer ?

or are both version for different use?

Ive just ordered and MPC one and been looking at the add on available to potentially buy as extra library.
By Lampdog Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:15 am
Welcome.

Do NOT use the internal storage!!

Use usb thumb drive, water bucket, red ryder wagon, anything else but internal storage.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:17 am
There is no difference from a technical perspective, same format etc. Akai just decided the mpc beats expansions they sell would simply have less content, lower cost. Marketing decision

All my mpc software expansions work in mpc beats

https://www.mpc-samples.com/section.php ... xpansions/
By converted Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:31 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes, they work with all modern MPCs (e.g. One, Live, Live 2, X, Keys), Akai Force, MPC Software & MPC Beats.

that's good to know, i'll check some out

Regarding the ones on the AKAI pro we site what the difference is between - the expansion listed and the ones listed as beats

I guess both are essentially sample packs that load pre-mapped in some way

If you don't mind me asking -- how many samples per octave do you use for your instrument/synth sample expansions. and are they like 24 bit samples?
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:21 pm
converted wrote:If you don't mind me asking -- how many samples per octave do you use for your instrument/synth sample expansions. and are they like 24 bit samples?

On synth instruments it's typically a 5 note span (G0, C1, F1, Bb1, Eb2 etc). On acoustic instruments, whatever works for that particular instrument, plus round robins, multiple dynamic levels etc.