New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By blakeAlbion Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:57 am
I can see myself building a project on my laptop but then ultimately want to use it standalone. Assuming plug-ins are sane in both environments, is this possible/normal? When I have tried using the MPC in controller mode, it’s a slick peripheral for my laptop, but it seems like all my work lives on my laptop.

I want my laptop to be a power tool/microscope to refine the content on my standalone MPC. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Ben
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:01 am
Yes, the MPC is designed this way. One way to do it is to connect the standalone MPC to your computer (with an SD card/USB/SATA drive attached tot he MPC) and that drive should appear in your computer. Now in the MPC Software load the project, 'save project as' and save it to your standalone MPC disk. Go back to standalone mode and load it.

Most people work the other way, so the project always resides on their standalone MPC disk and to edit it in the software they just connect the MPC via controller mode and load directly from the standalone MPC disk. There's lots of options. Just remember you cannot access any projects saved to the internal factory drive on your MPC, it has to reside on an 'attached' disk.
By blakeAlbion Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:59 pm
Thanks! I have learned a little and have so much more to learn.
But the one brick wall seems to be plugins. It's not clear to me which plugins besides the list provided by the "MPC Synth Content Manager" are available standalone. It's confusing!
What I really need to know is can I download a virtual drum machine; either a drum synth or a virtual beat box, which works like a normal MIDI drum synth (all instruments pre-built into a kit I can hit on MIDI channel 10).
That is not in the aforementioned "content manager".
I know, duh, the MPC is drum machine, but if the first thing I must do when I want to record an idea is decide which sound packs to install, I am screwed.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:09 pm
All the downloadable synths are available in both environments. The only stuff that isn't available in standalone is the Hybrid 3 synth and any additional third party 'vst' plugins you choose to install. It might be better to acquaint yourself with standalone mode first, then you'll be fully aware of what limitations you'll be working with.