New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By mycroftsimian Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:19 pm
First time posting... new to MPC Live II

I'm shopping for a SATA SSD for internal storage and can't seem to find specs/requirements for the MPC Live II. I typically buy my Pro Tools drives from OWC and they have 3 options:
https://www.owc.com/solutions/internal-drives
The price differences are significant so I want to get the most storage for my money (1 or 2 TB) and I'd prefer to get a drive that integrates well with the MPC Live II.
I plan on using this to add backing tracks to live performance.

Thank you! - Mike
P.S. am I right in thinking that the MPC Live II can reformat this drive with the exFAT file system?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:25 pm
No need to buy the absolute fastest SSD, the MPC browser itself is very slow and a real bottleneck when it comes to read/write, so you simply will not see any noticeable benefit. I've found very little difference in real life speeds between SD cards and SSD drives.
Can't comment on the OWC drives as I've never used one, but I've used various brands in my MPCs/Force and they all work fine - samsung. sandisk, crucial, kingston, etc.

If the drive is already initialized you'll be able to just pop it into the MPC and format it to exFAT using the built in formatter. However some people report that formatting it on a computer gives a better result. Regardless, if the drive is not initialised then you have to use a computer to initialise and format, although you might be able to do this by installing the drive into the MPC, connecting the MPC to the computer via USB and entering controller mode. At that point it should show up on your computer as a removable drive, ready for formating.
By richie Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:31 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Can't comment on the OWC drives as I've never used one, but I've used various brands in my MPCs/Force and they all work fine - samsung. sandisk, crucial, kingston, etc.

OWC mainly cater to the Apple crowd that generally isn't familiar with any sort of upgrade path for their equipment. In some cases they have made upgrade kits that are no longer available from Apple.

Generally speaking OWC will charge a siginificant markup (convenience tax) for their products vs purchasing equally (or better) SSD's such as the Samsung, Sandisk, Crucial and Kingston that you mentioned. For example, a 1TB SSD from Crucial or Samsung is in the $69-89 usd region now but OWC will charge that much for a 500GB drive.