New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By olejorgenlovas Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:25 pm
Hi. Im considering getting a used MPC Live for use with my electronic drum pads. The idea is to play the drum synth from the pads with midi, and use it as a live looper for building patterns. Does anybody have any thoughts about this approach?
By chrisroland Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 pm
the Drumsynth voices each have a note value assigned in Multi mode so if your drum pads are assignable for MIDI notes, presumably you could match them up
By MPC-Tutor Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:17 pm
Drumsynth Multi uses MIDI notes 0 to 8 (kick = 0), not sure if you can re-map Drumsynth itself, but another option is to make your own kits in the MPC using sample programs and these can be MIDI mapped to your drum kit. Ultimately drum synth is just 8 sounds with a single sound per instrument, but with sample kits you can take advantage of cymbal zones (bell, edge etc), snare rim/centre etc, velocity switching, round robins etc.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:01 am
Yes, it does all that. One thing I think you won't be able to do is control the amount of hi hat opening as typically that's controlled by midi CC and MPC drum programs don't trigger samples from that, only MIDI notes can trigger an MPC pad. So you can have an open hat pad (typically set to MIDI note 46) which is muted/choked by a closed hat pad (note 42), but that's it. If your kit supports different zones triggered via different MIDI numbers that's also supported (e.g. centre snare hit = 38, edge = 40, or whatever).
By 6/8 Stanley Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:03 am
Thanks for the idea MPC-Tutor and O.P. There's an old Roland octapad been gathering dust here 20 years because I never liked the stock sounds in it. Good drums in the mpc though.
By Nabora Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:34 am
Hello, my first post here, I was going to start a new topic, but I found this one, so - I am trying to get the drum synth in my mpc one to receive from my yamaha dtx 2.0 module by midi cable, no luck at all..I was trying to change the midi notes in the mpc, didn't work, then I did change the midi notes sent from my module, but it looks like the assigned notes in the mpc are out of module range..Any ideas how to change the defaults from the MPC? Thanks!
By Nabora Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:47 pm
OK, I figured that out, will answer to myself in case someone else is asking - the kick in drum synth is midi note 0, and in my module setup there is something called root note, it was 13, lowering to 0 sends the kick to the kick. Thanks!