New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Stevejaz Thu May 04, 2023 11:38 am
Relatively new to MPC and bought 'Kitmaker' to batch convert Maschine expansions. I've just started using Controller mode and am wondering if it's possible to create drum groups from Kontakt drum instruments for use both in controller mode and saved as stand alone. I'm having trouble locating the samples in the first place. I can find folders with gigs of samples but can not access the samples individually. I really like Studio Drummer and the more acoustic sounding basses, keys etc. Keygroups are fine for basses and keys etc but it would be nice to have my preferred drums on more playable pads.
Got caught up with the validation shimozle with Kitmaker which I hope will be sorted in a few days but would love some guidance re setting up drums.
Thanks in advance.
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 04, 2023 12:15 pm
You'll have to autosample your favourite Kontakt kits. This will produce keygroup programs but you can re-assign the resulting samples into MPC drum programs. Just be aware that the MPC does not support most of the features found in an advanced kontakt library, for example you cannot have multiple velocity layers and round robins combined on a pad (it's one or the other), you'll also have far more restrictions of the amount of layers and memory etc.

Basically there's no automated way to create multisampled acoustic kits, other than buying them pre-made, which is where I come in as I've recorded my own collection of acoustic kits and built MPC Kits from them, with my latest kit utilizing 12 velocity layers. These kits just about take things to the limit in terms of what's possible with the MPC at the moment.

https://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php ... it-bundle/
By Stevejaz Thu May 04, 2023 7:09 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Just had a look at your kits but can't afford then atm. Just trying to work with what I have. Midi learn in Kontakt occurred to me after posting. I have not used Komplete 12 CE at all since getting my Live2, and little before, when using Maschine mk3. I used to use it with an old set of V-Drums. Had to change a few settings from the supplied mapping then too. I guess it's just a matter of manually mapping, then saving. Not sure how autosample would work with drums but I'll try it. Accessing the samples in 'Finder' on my MacBook is my biggest issue atm, though I guess I could sample each drum into MPC and work from there. I don't need velocity layers so much. Just samples I can work with stand alone in Live2 to create drum groups. I'm mainly a solo performer singer/guitarist wanting quick easy backing track creation for live use. I'll now go back and have a deeper look at your Bundle. Something to keep in mind for when I can afford it. Thanks again for the quick reply.
By Stevejaz Thu May 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Quick update. Got the samples into Live2 and off and running building my own kits. I can not get Studio Drummer to play from Live2 in controller mode, not that that's what I'm really after. Strange thing is it will play the grooves and also show midi input in the monitor when I hit the pads. Even with correct note assignment ( eg C1 to Kick) and the same note showing on the pad, Komplete shows input in the midi monitor but not on the drum visual and no sound is produced. Must be something wrong in the Komplete setup.Main thing is though, Auto sample got me the samples and that's all I'm after atm.
I've had a look at your drum bundle and it's absolutely AWESOME. Well done. Top of my wish list atm and as soon as I can find the cash I'll jump in on that. :worthy: