New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Dane Collins Tue May 30, 2023 5:45 pm
I've been producing music using a computer, an audio interface, and studio monitors, with instruments connected to the interface. I want to integrate the standalone MPC Key 61 into my workflow, creating music on the MPC and transferring it into Logic.

However, I've learned from Akai that I can't directly route the MPC's output into my existing audio interface for playback on my monitors. They suggested buying another pair of monitors, which isn't feasible due to space constraints.

I want to use the standalone mode of the MPC for its full features but need to find a way to use my existing studio monitors. I'm open to any workable solution and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
By Lampdog Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 pm
[quote="Dane Collins"]However, I've learned from Akai that I can't directly route the MPC's output into my existing audio interface for playback on my monitors.{?quote]

MPC analog main outs to audio interface, why can't you do this?

What exact audio interface do you have, are there enough analog inputs to add MPC?
What about adding a mixer with enough inputs for all your gear, and that mixer going into your audio interface? Some mixers are 2chnl audio interfaces and can breakout their chnls into a computer daw.
Some mixers can breakout 8 or more chnls into a computer daw via usb c cable.

Me, I have an old analog mixer with lots of inputs.
MPC X
MPC Keys61
Kronos2
Moog Subsequent-37
and others all have analog audio going to this mixer.
My mixer has 2x TRS cables going into my RME audio interface.
RME audio interface goes into computer.
I am able to record 2chnls of mixer audio to computer anytime I want.

One pair of monitors.
By Dane Collins Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 pm
Thanks for the reply.

The analog out was exactly what I was looking for, but nothing was working, and then the guy at Akai said that wasn't how the device "is intended to work."

Turns out, though, I did something very stupid that I'm hesitant to publicly admit...but since I asked the question and you took the time to answer, I will: I forgot to open the mixer software for my audio interface. Usually, it launches automatically, but it didn't. So I assumed all the outputs were meant only for powered monitors.

I have it all working exactly as I'd hoped now.

Thanks again for the reply.