New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By BigPapiRick Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:20 pm
Hello! I'm very new to this world after years of hiatus. I picked up the One+ and Mini Plus to work as first a standalone production setup and eventually will bring them into Ableton. In the meantime, I'm focusing on standalone so I can gain a deep understanding of the MPC's functionality.

Initially, I was able to follow tutorials online to connect the two devices and to play plugins through the MPK mini. This was through Preferences -> Midi/sync -> ensure that Track and Control are selected on the MPK. And then in Preferences-> Sequencer->Rec Arm = Multi.

The problem I'm running into now, which I'm sure is user error as I keep toying with settings, is that when I plug in my MPK in the MIDI/Sync settings, I have 2 devices listed. When I follow the above steps to try and get the keys to play, I cannot get the MPC to acknowledge the keys?

To be clear, I go into Track View, ensure that one of the MPKs is selected, change its Channel to 1, ensure there is a plugin assigned. The keys do not play but the pads on the MPC still do. Regardless of whether the track is set to MPK keys or not, the pads on the MPC still are the triggers for synth.

So in a nutshell:
1 - I see a 2 devices for my 1 plugged in device in MIDI/SYNC
2 - On the Track View, regardless of what I have set for INPUT, the MPC Pads still control the plugin/synth sounds.

With that, I turn to the professionals for help. HAAAAALP!!!
Also, if there are any good resources on working with the intricacies of the two together, that would be great!

Thank you in advance for your help!