New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Pizza2047 Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:44 pm
I came from Ableton and had a really hard time getting into the MPC workflow because I couldn't really find anyone to explain it in a way that clicked with how my brain works. lol. So I made this to try and help other people who might be struggling in the same way...

By sl23 Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:29 pm
Having never used an mpc previously, that was my issue when I started with the live 2.ididnt understand how it worked, but once I got the ides of the sequence, track, program relationship in my head, it was plain sailing after that.

Only thing that puzzles me is why is it when you have say 5 tracks in use, you go to the mute screen and there are more? Some projects end up with around 3 to 5 more tracks than are actually being used and contain no data.
By Pizza2047 Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:17 pm
Yeah, for me that was the core concept to grasp. After that, like you said...smooth sailing (for the most part at least, haha).

I think the tracks and programs easily get messy depending on how you work. It automatically creates these as you create a new track or change program type in a track etc. Not a fan of this but it is what it is. I just try keep tabs on the stuff I don't use and delete or clear to not get confused. That's also why I'm pretty adamant about naming things as I create them Anything not named, I know I'm not using.
By Lampdog Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:20 pm
If you are on an unused track, you accidentally change the track type, now it’s activated and you’ll see it as a real track w/ no data.

Tracks are already there by default. You activate them by changing something, anything, in them, it is no longer “unused”.