New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By SlaserX Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:05 am
Mods: If there's a better place for this, feel free to move it. I'm more curious to get my question answered than anything.

I'm looking for a portable groovebox to improve my production. Sometimes I travel, and I like to work on songs while I'm on the go.

My Current Setup:
I use a Polyend Tracker to compose all MIDI output. I like it but I think it sounds like a potato, so I usually bring another groovebox with me for sound generation. I take my songs home, and I record them into my DAW, and I use it to play a plethora of hardware synths I own.

Basically I'm looking for a groovebox that works better for me--I don't need it to be pretty or even generate its own sounds (although that can be a pro), my ultimate endgoal is to get MIDI out of it into my DAW so I can use it with bigger beefier synths. I use a lot of automation, so I need to change CCs constantly (which is a major flaw in the tracker, it caps at 6 CCs per channel, and its annoying to setup). I like pad controllers, but I like to set the scale, key, etc and just play, not try and remember what buttons I need to press on a 64-key pad for dorian.
I use a TR-8S for drums mostly, so I have set (GM) notes I need to hit for them, but on the tracker they're outside the standard range I play in, so I have to scroll to my BD note, and copy/paste it everywhere I want it, and it feels clunky when I think I should be able to just map my pad to set notes.
I need a song mode. I'm not here to make a 32-beat loop, I'm here to make entire songs (sorry APC64, you were soo close).
There's lots of content out there on the MPC, but I know I do things a little differently, so it's hard to find answers to my questions. I hope you wizards out there can point me in the right direction. I'd likely go with a newer unit if I got a MPC, either One or an X, but if there's something out there that is better than the tracker for my needs, I'll gladly pick one up.

Thanks!
By NearTao Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:16 pm
So you've got a lot of statements but I guess a lot of unwritten questions.

The One or X I am sure would do the bulk of what you're looking for... though if you want a portable studio why not go for a Live? It can be your "all in one"... it writes out stems and loops quite well... has plenty of onboard synths/samples... and you can get content from it into a DAW quite easily.

Playing notes... similarly, you can just set a scale and go... if you're using key groups this will work for you... 16-levels from drum pads will be more of a trick for you that you might not use much.

You can automate a ton... so there as well I think you'll be fine.

Are there specific questions you are looking for answers for?
By SlaserX Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:39 am
I'm basically just trying to figure out, "Can MPC do what I need?" Because currently my tracker isn't cutting it, and is really frustrating me because of it.
I'm not looking for an all-in-one studio, I'm looking basically for a great sequencer I can take on the go. I don't use samples, I don't use stems. I'm TOO invested in hardware to change that now haha
Awesome on the scale mode, that's a huge boon. What do you mean by 16-levels from drum pads will be a trick?
I use a TR-8S for a majority of my drums (and a few others that use standard GM Drum Mapping), so can I just set MIDI Channel 10 out to have my pads be defined to specific midi notes? (35, 38, 43, 47, 50, 37, 39, 42, 46, 49, 51 are the essentials). Is changing velocity easy enough too? I have a 303 that requires specific values for velocity to perform specific functions.
Thanks so much for the answers! I'm starting to feel a bit of hope now
By MeSoHordey Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:28 am
The MPC One + is a midi beast, and that is coming from someone who has hated Akai for the last few years.

But I'd also check out something like the Electron Digitakt. It has 8 channels of midi and a beautiful sequencer.
By TravellerTunes Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:38 am
Sounds like your current setup is frustrating you, I've been there before too! The MPC One/X would definitely be an upgrade from the tracker in terms of sequencing power and features.

To answer your question - yes, you should be able to set your drum pads to specific MIDI notes for the TR8 no problem. The MPCs handle MIDI really well. You can also assign velocity values easily for your 303.

The Digitakt is a great portable option too if you want something more focused on sequencing hardware. Might be worth checking out in person at a music store if you can.
By ntalec Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm
No doubt a One+ or LIVE would be a major step toward what you are looking to do but it's still an awkward way of making actual songs.
If we could only get Akai to understand the current needs of song construction and selectable looping we could finally break out of that 80's workflow.

You would think Akai would be capitalizing on the whole create a song on the portable MPC's by expanding the Song Mode in that regard but it's seems it's not part of their agenda.
So much potential is being lost on the MPC platform and holding back it's growth by not improving song creation.

Have you looked at any of the iOS solutions out there or would you rather not go that route?
It's definitely a good way to be able to work on ideas and songs then take them back to the studio to continue working.
By SlaserX Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:55 am
ntalec wrote:No doubt a One+ or LIVE would be a major step toward what you are looking to do but it's still an awkward way of making actual songs.
If we could only get Akai to understand the current needs of song construction and selectable looping we could finally break out of that 80's workflow.

You would think Akai would be capitalizing on the whole create a song on the portable MPC's by expanding the Song Mode in that regard but it's seems it's not part of their agenda.
So much potential is being lost on the MPC platform and holding back it's growth by not improving song creation.

Have you looked at any of the iOS solutions out there or would you rather not go that route?
It's definitely a good way to be able to work on ideas and songs then take them back to the studio to continue working.

Can you explain the limits you're talking about in song mode? I've heard other people vaguely mention this before, but not details. I haven't really found anything on the web either talking about specifics.
I don't use Apple products, so iOS solutions are a no-go for me. I like physical pads too, with controls to make my life easier, that's why I was thinking MPC instead of just a controller for my Android (I have FL and Zenbears on my phone, but literally never use them)