New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By RaveSpeaker Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:52 pm
I recently purchased an MPC Live II with the goal of using it for portable live performance. Essentially a mix of pre-recorded audio and live playing/singing, without needing to be plugged in.

I don't have any previous MPC experience but I've been able to figure out how to do most of what I want.

I have several songs which were produced in a DAW, and I've rendered them without vocals and bass. I added these to a project on the MPC and set audio tracks to play under separate sequences. I have a MIDI track for bass and another audio track for vocals (mic directly into input 1). All the mixing is done on the MPC with the main outs to a battery-powered speaker.

This works pretty well, I can start a sequence playing, and then jam on the pads for the bass, while my wife sings. Then I can cue up the next sequence and keep going.

I also want to use the AIR Vocal Tuner for pitch correction. I added that to the vocal track and set it to C Major, which is the key of the first song. But the next song is in D Minor, so I would like to be able to have that switch automatically when the sequence changes, instead of manually having to change the effect.

What would be the simplest/easiest way to change the key setting when a new sequence starts?

Thanks!
By Lampdog Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:16 pm
Welcome.

I turned on automation, used insert 4 for air vocal tuner, recorded changing the tune in air vocal tuner.
Turned off automation, went into list edit, and this is what I saw (below).

I did it this way because I couldn't find a way to insert the change directly while in list edit.

I could edit the key value which would change air vocal tuner key. You can move/place these events (highlight the time, hit nudge, roll jog wheel to desired time) at the beginning of sequences in list edit which would result in the key changing automatically like you described/wanted at the start of a sequence.

By RaveSpeaker Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 pm
OK, excellent! That works. I will record automation for the key and scale at the beginning of each song sequence.

I'm also going to add sequences in between each song, these would be for an introduction (or other spoken word), so I'd like to disable the tuner entirely for those.

Is that as easy as recording automation of on/off for that insert?
By Lampdog Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:11 am
Yep.

#1 You can insert a change at the beginning of every sequence (on).
#2 you can insert a change at the end of every sequence (off).
#3 You can insert multiple changes in a sequence.
#4 Remember: When a sequence changes, the last key value may still be in effect (these changes and not returning to normal has thrown many people off). Close attention needs to paid while messing around in list edit. So if you want to start with a different key on the next seq use #1, no need for #2 (maybe).