New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By PhJ Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:57 pm
I bought a MPC live 2 less than a month ago, and I am really enjoying the dawless process so far.
From what I read here in various threads, it seems like a bad idea to delete anything off the internal memory.
Is that really so ? I know I’m not going to use any of the EDM kits included, for example, and it would make the browsing more efficient if I could just delete those. Am I taking risks if I do so ?

Thanks!
By Lampdog Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:53 pm
So you read the warnings but still wanna move ahead.

Leave the default storage alone, it’s used for OS also, use other storage methods.
By PhJ Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:24 pm
Thanks for your reply.
The question was more: "has anyone done it (deleted some of the drum kits) and survived ?" :-)
I do have a SSD in, I guess I'll just browse by 'places' then.
By NearTao Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:13 pm
Certainly people have deleted content off the internal storage and survived, but an overarching theme on the forums has been that people delete content off the internal drive, and then their MPC starts to break, crash, or exhibit bugs in strange ways.

Its far easier to shake your fist at Akai for being silly but still leave the internal storage alone, than to make changes to the internal storage and then be stuck with Akai support to try and get the issue(s) resolved.

Broadly speaking... accessing the internal storage requires contortions to go through (hacked firmware or taking the device apart)... and it frankly makes it several steps to above an inconvenience to properly manipulate or otherwise backup the internal storage yourself.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 pm
The problems seem to be with deleting the entire folders of factory content, no one knows why, perhaps missing folders cause issues, or deleting large amounts of data can sometimes cause disk corruption.

You are probably fine to delete selected kits, but this is quite hard to do as you need to identify all the samples associated with each kit and manually delete them. That said, if you just want to 'tidy up' the program list you could just delete the XPM files, but this will not save any worthwhile disk space in itself.
By PhJ Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:13 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The problems seem to be with deleting the entire folders of factory content, no one knows why, perhaps missing folders cause issues, or deleting large amounts of data can sometimes cause disk corruption.

You are probably fine to delete selected kits, but this is quite hard to do as you need to identify all the samples associated with each kit and manually delete them. That said, if you just want to 'tidy up' the program list you could just delete the XPM files, but this will not save any worthwhile disk space in itself.

Thanks for the added context.
Disk space is indeed not my concern, it’s just the convenience of only browsing through stuff I could use.
I’m somewhat wary now, though :lol:
By xantus Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:46 am
fwiw I deleted all the Expansions off of Internal drive 6+ mos. ago on my mpc One and have not experienced major bugs or my mpc falling apart over time. (1.8 GB free on internal, *knock on wood*) the Expansions folder is still there in the root and in MPC Documents, but they are empty.

I did move the Factory Content to my SD card but i rarely actually use them.. the only thing i've noticed is that the "content" tab in the browser is not populated with anything, but I never really loaded things from there anyways.

but as ever, with newAkai.. pretty much anything you do can be a russian roulette ;)
(also, i have never had my paid plugins ask to re-activate in the many months that i've had them, maybe i'm just lucky)