New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By j.m Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:54 pm
O.k. so finally I got me a nice TT for sampling beats/sounds.

Here we go - because I'm a total noob when it comes to my DJ skillz, I need some help from the more experienced guys!!!

So, my numark TTX turntable is gonna arrive in the next days and I just wanted to know some simple stuff, basically.

1. this thingie has a reverse button - so when I want to play a record backwards, do I just push the button or does the tone arm need to be changed too? (you know - opposite direction because of the needle?)

2. can I play a whole record backwards - without makin' any damage to it?

3. can I do scratches with a needle - that normally isn't supposed to do that? I think it has an ortofon needle on it (that blue one) and it's one for DJing. (I'm not thinking of "heavy" scratching - just here and there - for recording purposes)

4. when you scratch - do you always use "special" vinyls for scratching - or do you scratch sometimes on an "original" vinyl? How much & how quick would damage occur?

5. I've bought just one TT - mainly for sampling and doin' some "cuts & scratches". Do I need a second TT & dj-mixer? For now I'm thinking about using the LINE OUT's on the TTX and going straight into my mixdesk/PC.

Thanks in advance
j.m

(p.s. sorry for them noob questions - but I've been always producin' heavy on the pc and instruments - and really don't have a clue of all that DJ stuff - but now tryin' to get my head around.)

By DJDREW Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:50 pm
1&2. All you have to do is press the button to reverse the record and play it. be sure that if you want to play the whole record in reverse you have to start at the end of the record (I say that because it will fall of the record and can damage your needle. When it play forward it does not fall of at all)

3. The needle you metioned are ok for srachting but there are better Shure makes a M44 it is the best most will say.

4. You can scratch any vinyl. There are some particular sounds used for battling that are standard but once you start buy and scratching you will notice that some records and sounds feel and sound better than other. Just because the way there where made, or how you are scratching

5. I would suggest at least buying good preformance mixer(ttm 56 rane) you don't really need two turnatbles but you do need a mixer with contour controls.

I am sure other people may have there 2 cens so this is only my experience with scratching for like 10 plus years :shock:

By j.m Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:43 pm
Hey, thanks for your reply - very helpful indeed.

DJDREW wrote:5. I would suggest at least buying good preformance mixer(ttm 56 rane) you don't really need two turnatbles but you do need a mixer with contour controls.

How would I use it - with only one TT?
I always thought those dj-mixers are needed for mixing 2 signals together and going back and forth between the 2 signals, etc.

Despite of maybe, built-in eq's, fx?, ...
How would I incorporate such mixer? What to do with it?

What are these "contour controls" exactly?

thanks
j.m

By Liamr427 Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:42 am
You would use the mixer for scratching. You cant do some scratches without a mixer, but the scratches you can do with a mixer usually sound better.

By DJDREW Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:46 am
If all you want to do is scracth over your beat all you need is one for now. If you want to do beat juggling or to do viynl tricks you will need two. I would suggest getting one, feel it out then if you think you need another then buy it. DJs buy two so they can get another song cued up before the other one end. you are not going to run in to that problem I don't think.

Contour control are control that allow your faders on your mixer to react in different way. Most contour control will allow your cross fader turn on music either with a slow volume ramp up or a fast volume ramp up. With the fast volume ramp up you are allowed to turn the music on very quickly, this allows you to do tricks likr transforming and crabing.

I would strongly suggest for you to get a DVD on scratching. Any of Q-bert's DVD are really good.
Last edited by DJDREW on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By j.m Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:44 pm
Thanks so far for all your help.
Much appreciated!

The idea with the video is a great one, I think I'll have to grab one of those!
I think that would be the best method of how to get started and what techniques are used in turntablism.

thx
j.m

By theworks Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:34 pm
if you want some good example of good cuts do a google search on
www.asisphonics.net
in navigation bar check, the ever library i believe.

rane ttm 54i is a preferred mixer by myself many friends use various vestax (05 pro, 06 pro, and 07 pro) i am trying to get an 05 ventually
Last edited by theworks on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.