New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By AI934 Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:41 pm
I cannot get my drums to sound exaclty the way I want to, to be specific, at some points they are to far apart and sound mechanical instead of clean and fluent. Is there a way to visually cut and move a single kick or snare?

By ieism Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:13 pm
1. There's not much in favour of visually moving a kick or snare in the first place. It may look great in it's new position, but that doesn't mean it will also sound good.
A lot of people who are used to working with stuff like FruityLoops to make their drumtracks have a hard time adjusting to the mpc. The truth is, it takes a bit off time to get used to working with a clicktrack and doing everything by ear.

2. You can edit a single drumhit, but i don't know what mpc you have.....
I don't mess with the function myself a lot either, it's just a lot easier to erase a note and overdub it.
You might also want to learn to use the quantize and swing functions of your mpc.

By AI934 Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:39 pm
I have a 2kxl

By ieism Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:06 pm
Right, i'm on a 2000xl too so maybe i can help.

You can do some editing in the edit screen (F2 on the main-screen) but i think most people don't use this for moving notes. There's no visual thing here either. I never use it, but from what i remember you have to mess with the "step>" buttons.

But i think what you're looking for is to get the drums in the right place from the start.
On the mainscreen where it sais "timing" you can change how the sequencer quantizes your drums. So if it's set to 1/16 it will moves all your notes to the 1/16th note it is closest to. When you're starting out with the mpc this can be a bit confusing, cause if you're timing is a bit off it moves it to the wrong place sometimes.
You can try setting it to 1/32 or even to OFF.
You can also press "edit" while on the timing field. There are some things you can do here like move the notes a few ticks back or forward, add swing and quantize after you've recorded. The problem is that you can't select a single note easily in this screen either.

If you've got a loop that's almost perfect exept for one hit, the easiest thing is probably to erase that single hit with the erase button, and just try again in overdub. You can erase single notes in real time by holding the erase button. Check the manual to see how this works.

By spectre Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:47 pm
Step edit. F1 on main screen.

By ieism Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:08 am
Ah F1, right! I knew it was something with the step button though. :lol: