New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Chance Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:34 pm
Please give your input.

This summer I wanted the MPC2000XL for my graduation but the shop owners made me sit down with a Fantom X and I saw that it had pads. Because I had never felt the MPC pads before I though that I might as well have keys to go along with the workstation that had PADS.

Well now I figured that the sequencer sucks and the presets are not what im looking for. The pads go without saying :roll:

Well I have a few questions..

1) How easy is the sequencer? Do I have to be dictated by the time signature? The sequencer is the biggest reason for the switch.

2) Can I sample from a CD player?

3) With about $2000 bucks, would it be better to get the 2000XL or 4000? What necessities should I get with it? Should I consider an MV? Does it even compare?

4) Can I make 'chimpmunk' samples like I did with the Fantom? I could play samples at every note on the keyboard, if an MPC just had 16 pads how can i do this?

5) Hows the interface? Im used to a huge color screen.

Please take the time to help me out.

By mpc4000xl Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:13 pm
OK Chance

I'LL Give it a Go.................................

1) How easy is the sequencer? Do I have to be dictated by the time signature? The sequencer is the biggest reason for the switch.

The Mpc Sequencer is dirt Easy...300,000 note sequence capacity ....great alternative to complex computer-based sequencers.

2) Can I sample from a CD player?

Standard you get 2 1/4 in plugs ...So Just go to Radio Shack and Get bananas or 1/8 inch adapters (this depends on the cd player)

3) With about $2000 bucks, would it be better to get the 2000XL or 4000? What necessities should I get with it? Should I consider an MV? Does it even compare?

While the MV-8000 is Powerful Brace ur'self 2 STUDY Hard.......the 4000 is
good but what do you need to do ?????(insert more info Here LOL)

4) Can I make 'chimpmunk' samples like I did with the Fantom? I could play samples at every note on the keyboard, if an MPC just had 16 pads how can i do this?

The Chipmunk can nearly be created on anything trust me .....the mpc has a chromatic scale feature which will allow you ...with the aid of any cheap midi keyboard play ya notes.

5) Hows the interface? Im used to a huge color screen.
As for Color It aint happenin' Jus' try PC instead if that is your deal breaker but if not the interface is sencible and simple ....and after all his is really about music .........OR is IT ??????????????!!!!!!!????????????? ??

Well I took a lil time hope dat helps.

4 mo Info .........hit up

http://www.akaipro.com/int/mpc4k/index.html
http://www.mpc2000xl.com

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/s ... genumber=4

and ya might want to join that forum.

By Chance Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:40 am
Man, I appreciate the help!

Im trying to do hip hop. I could sell my Fantom and use my refund check which would give me a little over $2000 bucks but im not sure if I could get the 4000 for that much.

Also, what necessities would be needed? Zip Disk? Zip Drive? 8 Outs? Because they'll have USB would it be wise to start storing samples on my comp for later transfer?

Thanks again.

By dsmith Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:18 am
I would get the 2000Xl w/zip. Maybe buy a couple of blank zip disks, and if the mpc doesn't have the 8 outs save for that. There is a couple of guys on here selling there 2000's , you might want to check them out. I believe one of them was "Cyrus".

By Chance Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:12 pm
that would be perfect. im gonna keep my fantom and instead buy a 2000xl with my check. i'll looking for these sellers and see if they'll hold one for me.

thanks dsmith.