Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By cleansocks Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 pm
lately I been hunting at the dollar bin and been in a slump, mostly cuz im looking for drums to sample off ( i do not like sample packs ) but a lot of records ive gotten recently have no drums, and when they do they are not isolated.

What kind of records can I find good isolated drums on? Jazz? Pop? Help me out here
By BostonGreen Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:20 pm
I sample from internet radio.

Internet-radio.com
196 genres
Sortable by bitrate, lots of crystal clear 320kbps stations.

My fav genres are Jazz, Lounge, Disco and Funk.
Crate digging for the digital generation :-D
By cleansocks Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:46 pm
BostonGreen wrote:I sample from internet radio.

Internet-radio.com
196 genres
Sortable by bitrate, lots of crystal clear 320kbps stations.

My fav genres are Jazz, Lounge, Disco and Funk.
Crate digging for the digital generation :-D

Very nice. I use a radio app as well as Vintage obscura radio. Lots of good choices. Thing is I like to sample from vinyl as it just as a crunch that cannot be emulated digitally. Maybe I am wrong tho.

Regardless, I will take a look at the site and for these genres. Thanks :worthy:
By DokBrown Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:07 pm
“A master does not teach his apprentice everything”

---Count Dooku to Savage Oppress
By Sense-A Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:54 am
Sandy Nelson records i find in dollar bin often

If you check craigslist, flea markets, thrift stores, pawn shops you can piece together your own custom real drum set and some drum mics for cheap. That's if you don't care about a matching color set.

Just looking at my local craigslist, someone is selling a floor tom for $35 , someone else a two piece pearl set and stool for $285, someone else a hi hat stand for $30, 4 drum mics for $50, Zildjian Zbt 13” hi hat cymbal for $70, a pearl snare and xylophone for $100. There's entire drum sets going for $500-700.

You can put together a **** drum set, get a bass amp and electric guitar and keyboard and have a whole **** band for what some fools are paying for a cheap fake sounding sampler these days.

Also, there's synthetic drum sits with drum brains which allows you to load different drum kits but still physically drum. Roland and Nord put some out. The Nord dDrum5 or the Roland V Drums. You could even just find the "brain" of the drum kit and trigger it with extra outputs and channel it all through a mixer for quick adjustments of each kit piece sound, reverb, chorus, delay, compression, etc.