Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By AnalogMist Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 am
Ok so here's the deal, I like going to the record shops and digging for dope material to work with, but I hate when the player's are all taking or they begin to act up (old players, wear-n-tear, etc.)

So I was wondering.... :hmmm: what is a great portable player that run's off batteries and does a great job of allowing me to preview both 12" & 7's?
By sirparksalot Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 am
No problem homie. :smoker:
By crossings Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 am
the numark pt-01 is about the same and a bit cheaper... they're both good for simply previewing records, but i wouldn't use either as a main turntable for sampling from.
By JUKE 179r Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:06 am
From my many years of digging (and yes I am bragging. 8) ) make sure you ask the record store owner/worker first if it's alright to use your portable record player in their store. Some of the record store owners allowed me to use my friend's Numark PT-01 (which is an excellent choice by the way) and some other owners didn't because of possibly ruining/scratching the records.

If you run into the latter situation, just sell it to them that it would be their best profitable interest to let you use the portable turntable in their store (and tell them how cautious you will be with their records). Tell them, without the turntable you will walk out of their store with only a couple of albums that you guessed they might sound good. If you are allowed to use the turntable, you will be able to listen to more records which leads to purchasing more records and that you will let others know online (MPC Forums) that their record shop is a goldmine for vinyl record collectors. :smoker:
By damien907 Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:03 pm
i have a pt-01 as well and its dope.
By Headphones Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:37 pm
A old neighbor gave me his HandyTrax for free. I like how I can play 33/45/78 speed records, but to be honest, I probably won’t buy any 78s. That’s like too far back for my tastes.
By peterpiper Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:46 pm
Headphones wrote:A old neighbor gave me his HandyTrax for free. I like how I can play 33/45/78 speed records, but to be honest, I probably won’t buy any 78s. That’s like too far back for my tastes.

but you can sample a 33 on 78 to put a bit more lofi into it.
peace