Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Mark Madness Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 am
Ok so I bought this turntable off a dude but it didnt have a belt in it. I took the one off of my old broken one and put it on but my old one was a lot less weight on top so the problem seems to be the belt isnt strong enough for this one I just bought.

It is a Sears Roebuck and Co LXI Belt Drive Turntable. The model number is 564.97960150

I found this website http://www.elexatelier.com/sears.htm but my model was not on their list of belts. They say I can do some measurements and send them the information and they can do their best to find a match.

I was wondering if there are easier ways to do this? I looked on the inside by where the belt goes and looked all around the turntable and could not find any information on the type of belt I need. Is there like generic belts that work for most turntables or is it a sensitive item? Thanks a lot, heres some photos.

By tapedeck Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:27 pm
when i replaced belts before i've ordered just the proper length from mcm electronics.

i measured the old one, then ordered a slightly smaller one.

you can use a tape measure to measure the distance around the drive and the platter, like put the measure where the belt would sit, then maybe scale it back inch or so.
By Mark Madness Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:09 pm
So measure around the drive and the platter... I get the measure around the platter, like the part the belt sits around underneath right? What is measuring the drive?

Also I just checked, and the little knob thing that says "speed adjust" it only makes the part to spin the belt (the piece in the second picture) go on when its at certain points. Is it supposed to spin no matter where the speed adjust is? It says by it like certain speeds for the 45's and 33 with 50hz and 60hz.

Also how can I tell what type of belt to use? I read there are flat, square, and round belts... my last one was a flat one. The grooves on this one look like I should use a square one maybe? I really have no idea I am just guessing.

And like are there different widths to belts besides the length?
By Mark Madness Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Thanks man... I promise I googed it lol and when I used that model number I got 0 results. You the man!

So before I buy the belt, does anyone know the answer to my question about the speed adjust? It seems like the part that spins the belt gets kind of weak when it is turned to some parts so I dont know if the gears in it are shot or if its supposed to only spin good when its set at one point?
By tapedeck Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm
:hmmm:
the speed change adjusts the speed of the motor (aka the drive)

props on the googlin cross

tho if you figure out the dimensions of the belt yerself (it will be flat) you will likely be able to find it for much much cheaper

edit: easy way to measure - take a piece of string and hold the end on the motor. now wrap the string around the platter and back to the motor, just like the belt would sit. mark the string where it comes back to the beginning.
now lay the string flat and measure that.
By Mark Madness Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm
Yeah, heres a picture of the speed knob thing I am talking about.

The motor doesnt start spinning when it is at certain points, theres like 3 spots when turning it that it picks up. Does that seem out of the ordinary? The part where the belt hooks on to spin. It doesnt spin unless I turn that to certain points.
By tapedeck Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 pm
Mark Madness wrote:The motor doesnt start spinning when it is at certain points, theres like 3 spots when turning it that it picks up. Does that seem out of the ordinary? The part where the belt hooks on to spin. It doesnt spin unless I turn that to certain points.

yes that is abnormal.

when in the center, it should spin at exactly 33 or 45 (depending on that switch).
as you rotate it to the right, it should spin faster.
as you rotate it to the left, it should spin slower.

but no, it should never turn the motor 'off'...sounds like the pot you got controlling motor speed is bad.