Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By jnorth Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 pm
No so much certain businesses but as in what sort of places?

Went to a record fair today and i just couldnt get into it. I just can't get along with record stores and record fairs. Too many distractions and plus they're usually playing shit I'm not really into and filled with smelly old men and hipsters. I like charity and thrift stores. Somewhere that's really dusty where the staff don't have knowledge of shit. It might have caused me to miss out on a lot of shit, but I just can't get along with em.
By mastasteez Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:55 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
mastasteez wrote:The sand pit after a light drizzle - perfect castles!

You're seemingly speaking "Ill Green" on that one. :lol:

Funny you should say that. I did just read his posts in the Random Drums thread (I think), maybe some subconscious shit went down...you jaded lady's private parts :lol:

Seriously though, I dig in this little store called Aladdin's Cave (or Cove). Loads of records but smells like old people and shit. I also buy random records off Amazon and eBay.
By Coz Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm
jnorth wrote:I like charity and thrift stores.

I bought 6 records from my local Oxfam yesterday for £12. Apparently they've got "loads of unsorted records in the back", so I'll be heading there again before too long to see if I can mine their selection before it hits the shelves. You pick up some weird and wonderful stuff from those places... the amount of abandoned instrumental music is just pure gold dust for the digger on a budget.

This was one of my finds.

Probably not the rarest of records but for 2 quid I can't complain. :smoker:
By mastasteez Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 pm
Coz wrote:
jnorth wrote:I like charity and thrift stores.

I bought 6 records from my local Oxfam yesterday for £12

You got a bargain, the Oxfam here in Norwich is sometimes more expensive than an actual record store :shock: Lots of albums at £5-£15!
By Metatron72 Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:17 pm
mastasteez wrote:...you jaded lady's private parts :lol:

You can call me that anytime, I'm 40 so it's probably true. I had just been noticed Ill Green being extra visual with his words lately, and the punchlines/jokes more abstract, I like it.

I only have one retail record shop here and their vinyl selection is so heavy on ultra common joints I hardly ever get anything. (But like anywhere the off the wall 50 cent LP's are often the ones to flip).

We also have a book shop here that sells records. She has rarer stuff (no holy grail type shit though). The records are clean even sealed in a lot of cases. Problem is she knows what she has and charges basically book value or above for everything.

Still a sealed LP on Kudu that's 40 years old is maybe worth getting gouged a little once in while.
By Coz Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 pm
mastasteez wrote:You got a bargain, the Oxfam here in Norwich is sometimes more expensive than an actual record store :shock: Lots of albums at £5-£15!

I had to rifle through a lot of shit to get those 6 though. They must have had at least 30 James Last records hindering my progress! :lol:

One thing I did notice... I'm getting too old to be crouching around on the floor. I had to stand up 3 times to get some circulation back in my legs. :oops:
By peterpiper Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:32 pm
second hand / thrift stores most of the time. There is only one record store I walk in from time to time. Thats the time when I search a specific record or just wanna buy some really cheap ones (he got 2 crates of 10ct records and 6 crates of 50ct records. Bought the "wired" LP there and also a "Best of Iron Butterfly" with "get out my life woman". Nice 10ct breaks :)
Another 2nd hand store I regulary visit decrease prices every third week so the price for a record is 2,50 EUR, 3 weeks later 1,25, 3 weeks later 60cent and 2 weeks later you can buy all the records that havn't been sold (about 6-8 crates) for something like 10 EUR (there've been never anything interesting in these crates at this moment to pay the 10 EUR :))
Sometimes there is really nothing there even when the price is still at 2,50 but a few weeks ago I doubled my Zapp Collection (Zapp, Zapp II, Zapp III) plus the Mtume LP that I didn't had and a polish jazz (novi). Payed 1,25 each. Couldn't belive it first cause usually you wont find things like this (must have been a collection from a Funk lover) in such stores here.

peace
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm
I mainly dig at my local charity shops, they go from anywhere from 20p up to about a fiver. So you can pick up some good finds for a great price and it feels good that I'm giving back to support the less fortunate. It's great when you a regular crate digger as most of the charity shops let me out the back to look through the records that have only just been collected and delivered to the shop.

I sometimes use eBay or amazon to buy cheap random records that the cover looks interesting. Mainly use Discogs if I'm buying online for records, usually for the great selection of battle weapons and scratch tools.

I also check my local paper for people selling vinyl, you sometimes get a job lot of records in there for a reasonable price.
By Mephisto Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm
eBay's always a good place for records you wouldn't look after in stores.
Usually i go for whole collections of 50 or more. They'll cost you around 1$ each averaged.
Most times you get a bunch of records from genres all over the place, which is nice for exploring new styles and having diverse samples.

Tag One The Fader Fiend wrote:I also check my local paper for people selling vinyl, you sometimes get a job lot of records in there for a reasonable price.

Yeah, don't sleep on that. A great source for real bargains.
By habitat105 Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:00 pm
im in florida there is a warehouse full of records...3.00 a piece or if u buy 20 its 40.00...i have pulled alot of good stuff out of the 12inch lps...it will take a a few years to go through this place...and they keep bringin more..
This past xmas I hit up "the thing" in brooklyn...that place is full of records...shame you cant get to alot of them..great place for a dj trying to build there collection....
By Clint Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm
The Musical Instruments > Vinyl section of Gumtree is good if you're willing to take a punt on joblots and house clearances. Take the lot and dig through them in the comfort of your own home.