Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By DaFunkDocta2004 Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:15 pm
While I can see the purpose of a forum like this, I can't take part in it.

To me, this is Classified Information. This falls under "Things For Self-Discovery". No one made it this easy for me while coming up, and I don't know anyone who's sound I respect that had shortcuts like this. Why would I tell anyone what records I have? Where I got them? How I sampled them? What I sampled? This takes ALL the fun out of DISCOVERY. "just get this record and this record and sample this and this..." No no no no...a "Crate Diggers" forum like this rejects all concepts of hard work for this artform. Record spots? Maybe. Certain knowledge that needs to be shared should be emphasized, like studio experiences, interaction with the industry, various career issues for producers AND DJs, and the like. This is a shortcut for biters, and y'all know what I'm talking about. I know a lot of cats are gonna disagree, probably arguing that this is for the "community of MPC users".

To be frank, I don't trust people like that. Especially people I can't even see eye-to-eye and get a feel for their work ethic. I'm not trying to lump everyone in that category, cuz cats like vakseen and binger0 and prah are cool as hell and actually seem like some dedicated cats I wouldn't mind trading a few sounds with. But ALL these MOFOS? Knowing MY isht? Sorry, I'm a selfish bast**d who worked hard for his and have seen the fruits of my labor. You want my info, you'll have to pull a Puff or Q-Tip move like they did on Pete Rock for "Juicy" and "Jazz (We Got The)"

Peace.

By jorge guzman Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:23 pm
i dont really think people will share samples like that, i know i wont, i dont even tell the mcs that come thru my spot which sample i used for what track but it should be interesting how it turns out... diggin spots i dont really mind sharing though i got a couple that are top secret :wink:

By Archetype_J Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:24 pm
My intention on this forum, was basically just to share love about digging..... nice come ups that you found, etc....

I don't intend on sharing any set-in-stone techniques like "Buy this record, go to the 3rd bar and sample 4 bars of this....."

Never that. Just a place for those of us who are diggers to congregate. Ain't nobody forcing you to do shit.

I knwo i won't share any secret LP's, or anything like that.........

By mesh Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:59 pm
FunkDocta-

no disrepect, but get over it, for real. you dont honestly think they arent about 100 other digger forums out there already? Specifically about records, not a thing to do with anything else.

face it, A LOT of people already know a ton of the sample sources for everything from RUN DMC up to current Kanye stuff, and if they dont know there are plenty of places for them to go find out.

nobody says you have to give away anything, i know i aint gonna be giving away my style. but there is certainly plenty of room to talk about things like a common break everybody knows, or a heavily sought after record someone finally found.

we all have a lot in common if we work on mpcs, collect and sample records, and make beats, right? why not talk about then, this is a forum.

i respect what you are saying, but its a little late in the game to not go with the flow. and i know you are out there coming up on some ill sh*t anyway, right? you'll still be able to find the records you want, and have your style and all that.

By vakseen Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:37 pm
i feel u doc...i know i wont be telling anyone what to sample :D thats the joy of sampling. finding some obscure $hit and flipping it to make some HOTT $hit. on another hand it would be cool to share ideas. maybe diferent labels or artists to check for. not really getting more specific than that though.....

$hiiiit i just caught a STEAL on ebay. a 180 LP lot. less than $1 each. got some coltrane, roy ayers, donald byrd, parliament, cameo, herbie hancock, miles davis....yo the list goes on!!! i"m a very happy man right now! this is what we"ll see in this section too. i think the digger section is tight
By killer joe Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:13 pm
is the essence.......this is dope

but i feel doc - i sorta feel that way about that magazine "wax poetics"

i can understand why many could feel that knowledge should be sought after and gained not just given away half - hazardly

but its cool to talk shop with fellow crate diggers

By Blaknif Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:19 pm
Even if you tell people about a few records, who's to say they will know how to use them? I just hope this doesn't become a snitch breeding ground. If the credit ain't listed on the record, don't spoil it. say something like this should sound familiar.

By Dr. Lecter Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:55 pm
Crate diggin is sth. like "top secret" information..I'm feelin' these cats who're still puttin' stickers to their records..We're looking for the perfect beat,right?!

By MattMatiks PG Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:22 pm
I'm not givin away any secrets, but we can talk about the culture... We can talk about just diggin in general.... Plus this brings together the people on this site who specifically sample... We can talk about set-ups for sampling (Pre-amps to use and sh*t when sampling breaks)... We can talk about cleaning vinyl... If you feel like sharing something do... If you don't then don't.... This isn't anything forced.... I'm not lookin to give up any gems, but if I feel the need to share something I will...

yo

By killer joe Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:54 pm
i feel alot of gems have been given up already - but i guess that could be good cuz i might assume im one of few with a certain record or knowledge of a certain artist but its good to see that what u thought was somewhat obscure could be well known so now i kno i gotta dig a little deeper and work harder to be original and different

By cyrus Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:42 pm
i aint about to give away my secrets, but i think there should be this forum to discuss like matters.......just cause i dont give away secrets, doesnt mean i dont have a ton of shit to talk about!

I started the "record of the month" so that we can all get some practice, and i can help motivate other people....and in return, they do the same....its not about us tryin to steal others secrets, its about fine tuning our skills...and sharing what we enjoy with others.

THINK About it: your "secret records" dont mean shit unless you can brag that you have them to others that dont have them! The average person dont give a ****! all they care about is the end product. If you are good, no secret will make you better!

By DSTRUCT Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:34 am
Lord Toranaga wrote:David Axlrod "songs Of Innocence" $.10. Best score of the millineum. Now all toys must die.

yeah it is real dope, just been sampled so many times. plus on most of the album, the drums are panned to the right and the instruments are on the left, perfect for sampling. But like i said, you gotta flip these joints cause its all been sampled

By dj_2xL Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:28 am

lots of good obscure samples on this one....