Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By incurablebeatlust Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:18 am
w/ due respect to all sides of this topic let me give mine...
if i tell you to go check for a certain record what good is gonna do you? when at the thrift store or yard sales its not organized and ready for the picking. its only by accident that i have found nearly all my records. a precious few have been bought on the internet/ebay but the finding of that lp is half the pleasure. i hear so many names that i forget until i find it for myself.

check soulstrut.com for some vinyl forums there are some real diggers on there and whatever you have they got or all ready heard of, check it for yourself. even if i use the same sample you did am i gonna chop it the same? same drums? cmon be realistic, if you have some ancient vinyl secrets then keep it to yourself but theres plenty more to vinyl collecting than that. there is some comon ground w/ the records we collect.

peace.

By mesh Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:43 am
incurablebeatlust wrote:w/ due respect to all sides of this topic let me give mine...
if i tell you to go check for a certain record what good is gonna do you? when at the thrift store or yard sales its not organized and ready for the picking. its only by accident that i have found nearly all my records. a precious few have been bought on the internet/ebay but the finding of that lp is half the pleasure. i hear so many names that i forget until i find it for myself.

check soulstrut.com for some vinyl forums there are some real diggers on there and whatever you have they got or all ready heard of, check it for yourself. even if i use the same sample you did am i gonna chop it the same? same drums? cmon be realistic, if you have some ancient vinyl secrets then keep it to yourself but theres plenty more to vinyl collecting than that. there is some comon ground w/ the records we collect.

peace.

truth

this especially:
whatever you have they got or all ready heard of

thats kinda what i was trying to say earlier. like, the cats already out the bag.

By Cheech Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:51 am
What people often tend to forget is that cratedigging is not only about finding the perfect beat, it's also about finding good music in general. You don't need to sample everything that moves... And if I find a good record that I know I won't sample I'll be happy to spread the word.

By MattMatiks PG Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:56 am
Cheech wrote:What people often tend to forget is that cratedigging is not only about finding the perfect beat, it's also about finding good music in general. You don't need to sample everything that moves... And if I find a good record that I know I won't sample I'll be happy to spread the word.

Word... I'm the same way... I have records that have awesome samples on them, but I know they don't fit into my style... I might come back to em if my style switches up... I might just sit on em forever...

By jpeg Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:51 am
I think whateva secrets u think u have peeps already know about it, u cant honestly belive that ur the only digga on earth that knows.

I think its is good to share knowledge cos then everyone can expand and learn more, cos even thou i might have the same record as u i might flip things different to u.

By bidi Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:45 pm
jpeg wrote:I think whateva secrets u think u have peeps already know about it, u cant honestly belive that ur the only digga on earth that knows.

a while back i got this cruise ship calypso band record from the 70's. obviously something they gave out when gigging on the ship - pretty obscure.

i listen to it - Premier had already been there - snarked by far the best sample on there. :evil:

By ILL DIAMOND Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:42 pm
May I add something.
I really belive like some of the early post that you don't have to sample everything that you bought.

I all so believe that the point of dig'n is to expose yourself to other forms of music, thay you would have not given yourself a chance to really sit down and listen to.

I have been collecting since i was 15(33years old now)and i have to admit if it wasn't for Hip-Hop i would have never pick up: world music, dance hall, jazz country, blues, rock etc... (which i love to listen to with out sample'n)

I would have just been a video game head, being that i had most of all the game systems from 2600, on up.

So i would say to share knowledge about certain records might turn kats on to certain performers that would not have been given a chance when they first came out.

It's almost like a rebirth to a person's career. Think about about david axelrod, if it wasn't for hip-hop he wouldn't be able to go back in the studio to do more dope joints that our kids will be able to pick up and say this man was a genius.

Music should be shared, not bottled up. Of course i know there are some joints that i would rather kut my left hand off then to tell you, but on all honestly if you have a record that only 25 were printed, what's the chance of finding it any way.

But any number of records can be found, if you dig long and hard enough. It's just the law of nature. It will turn up!!!

Just my 2 cents.
PEACE

PS. sorry about the long rant.

By Season Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:22 pm
Man, I enjoyed reading all of these posts on this topic. Had to laugh a bit, though. Some cats seem worried about sharing anything. Or feel it violates some sort of "code".....don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from but lets be real. Just because you give away some of your "secrets" doesn't mean the next cat can duplicate it. I compare it to me and my basketball coaching....I know a lot of coaches (some real big names) that have no problem sharing ideas and what they do. I mean to the point of giving you on the spot walk throughs of plays and defenses. Ok, so since I have that information, doesn that mean I'm going to be able to duplicate what they have done, or their team is doing? Hell no. First you have to have the talent around you to get it done, and second you have to be able to put out what you brought in. So just because ideas and techniques are given out doesn't mean your whole value as a producer is going to be minimized. Give me a break. If you don't want to give out your "top secrets" fine...very understandable....then just don't worry about coming to this topic area. I've got no problem giving and recieving....that's what makes us better. Some people are so worried about "stealing" other ideas....well, the whole sampling arena comes down to "stealing" what someone else has done. Sure, we may "chop" or rearrange, but in the end it's still something someone else did. Remember this.....you can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh#t.....doesn't happen. You can have all the necessary things to possibly make it happen, but in the end....it's still gonna be crap.

I'm out....
Season

By Archetype_J Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:57 pm
Just to clarify (on my behalf anyway) it ain't about "secret techniques" or any hoopla like that.

It's about the cats that are going to (undoubtedly) come on this forum and be like "So which record should i buy, and what song should i sample to make a hot beat?"

Don't expect love from over here with some bullsh1t lazy-a$$ questions like that.

Thassallimsayin, player.

By ILL DIAMOND Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:09 pm
^^^^^ WORD!! AGREED^^^^^^

By mesh Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:44 pm
Archetype_J wrote:
It's about the cats that are going to (undoubtedly) come on this forum and be like "So which record should i buy, and what song should i sample to make a hot beat?"

and i think those types of questions/questioners will be weeded(no pun) out and we will be left with the people who actually go out and find new sh* to sample or listen to. and those are the people that i wanna talk to!

By Dust Bunny Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:43 am
Just my 2 cents ain't nothin new under the sun everything you doing already been done. I'm saying this to say that there aren't any secrets just techniques. So if you wanna praticipate then feel free if not sit back and watch the world go round it's gonna go on with or without ya playa! I'm gonna share the greatest diggin technique I know I ask everybody I meet if they got some old records the wanna get rid of. I love old vinyl it gets me higher than the greenest green.

By cyrus Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:49 am
incurablebeatlust wrote:w/ due respect to all sides of this topic let me give mine...

peace.

....good point